Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: N. inermis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is plenty of information on the requirements of N. inermis but I am having trouble getting a reference point compared to other highland plants.

Compared to say N. lowii and N. hamata how does N. inermis hold up?

By compare I mean tolerances to temp, humidity, light, substrate, etc.

Maybe I could also post the question another way …. If conditions are provided that satisfy lowii and hamata… would it also satisfy inermis?

Thanks,

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your doing fine with N. lowii and N. hamata I don't think N. inermis would be a problem. They sometimes seem a bit tempermental about root disturbance though and despite the thick leaves and pitchers they like lots of humidity and don't appreciate drastic humidity drops.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tony. We grow N. inermis alongside N. hamata and N lowii but N. inermis doesn't always pitcher as well as the N. lowii which almost always produces a pitcher every leaf. N. inermis seems to be sensitive to the humidity fluctuations in our dry season when the RH can drop suddenly in the middle of the day. We also find that N. hamata is rather sensitive to this too but N. lowii, although slow, just powers on through the occasional adverse conditions.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony and Rob.

That instils some confidence in my planned expenditure in the next few weeks.

I growth both lowii and hamata (small plants) and find lowii 'slightly’ more robust than hamata and a faster grower (not that I've had any issues with the hamata).

I am having a few little hot spells in the glasshouse right now with the weather warming up but am getting and evaporative cooler in the next week or so. Accordingly, I think I'll hold off on the inermis until that is installed just to be safe.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, I'm amazed that your hamata is growing faster than N. lowii. Hamata should grow like a weed, faster than inermis (which is not that slow) and certainly faster than lowii which is one of the slowest species around.

If you're growing hamata OK, inermis should be fine. Just make sure your source is pure.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just make sure your source is pure.
    Good point Hamish. Out of 24 clones of "N. inermis" that we kept in the lab, nearly half were hybrids with N. bongso. Fortunately, we recognised this in time not to ship them. Some other sources have been shipping this hybrid (in all innocence I'm sure) as "N. inermis".

The hybid is really very nice though, I might add.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just make sure your source is pure.
    Will do Hamish.

On the Hamata/Lowwi growth rate. I suppose my perception is that it is more robust as it is a larger plant. At a guess I'd say a new pitcher and leaf every...??...6-8 weeks.

The hamata (actually x2 in the same pot) are tiny (2-3cm diam.) and are not increasing in size to dramatically just yet. But if I think about it they’d be putting a new leaf and pitcher every 3-4 weeks.

So maybe my initial comparison was a bit skewed due to the size of the lowii.

AJ.

Hamish, will send you and email from home later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, sorry - one of my many typos, it should have said " I'm amazed that your hamata ISN'T growing faster than N. lowii". But if the plants are small, then I can understand it being a bit slow - nonetheless, I rooted a piece of TC discard of hamata (a tiny piece of growing tip, less than 1cm long), and once it rooted it grew quite quickly.

And if you want cheap inermis x bongso, let me know. I have more than I want, thanks to the producer than Rob was referring to. Rob is being too politic in his comment, methinks. Malesiana is still selling inermis. I am not sure if thet got hold of pure material after discovering the true source, but if they're still selling that single clone they had that turned out to be inermis x bongso, then that would be very naughty. Does anyone know whether they've "fixed" this problem?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast