What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here growing species 2?

Hi
Is anyone here growing the Species 2 that comes from BE?
My one is taking quite a while to settle in and has this habit of the edges of the leaves curling under itself at the edges. No pitchers either..

After an average summers growth, it has now started to put much better leaf growth on. But once again as the leaf gets bigger the edges are curling
smile_l_32.gif
None of my other Neps have ever shown this effect, even if they were ever stressed. It is growing with all my other highland Neps. Any ideas?
I will post a photo later..

cheers

bill

I have some Bill. Photo would help. This plant seems to have leaves which are wavy etc.. so maybe yours are normal for the plant. How's your humidity? I almost never have a problem with plants establshing but this particular plant gave me some difficulty with low moisture symptoms so I suspect it does not like low humidity and humidity drops and has a problem dealing with them.

Tony

I got a batch of these from BE a while ago. Out of several hundred plants, that was the only species that did poorly. 1 died in quarantine, and 2 more died shortly afterwards. The remaining plants are stunted, pathetic specimens. Rob said that the same thing had happened to a batch that he'd taken with him for a customer in the UK. I have no idea what it is, as the plants in quarantine were kept in a special high humidity chamber. In addition to possible humidity sensitivity, I wonder if it is a pH thing - Rob grows his plant in coconut coir, which has a lower pH than sphagnum moss.

Hamish

Um Kirk...
Genus Nepenthes
Species hamata

Note the genus names starts with a capital while the species name starts lowercase.

So you have Nepenthes hamata
BE has released 2 clones of N. hamata but I don't know which of the two you have as they arrive as a mix of the 2.

Species 2 indicates an unknown species labelled as number 2 for record keeping purposes.

Heh, it was starting to annoy me when people capitalize the species name....

Any way wasn't there another species number 2 that is different from that wavy leaf one?

Well it gets confusing as species #____ is used by all the different suppliers and in even worse cases it's used by the same supplier for plants that are from different areas! ie.. sp2 from Sumatra.. sp2 from Borneo etc. Hence it's important to list which supplier your talking about and any other information they have for it.

Kirk.. nothing to be sorry about. Can get confusing all this nomenclature.

Hamish - I haven't noticed anything else about them once they got over their (very severe) moisture stress. Mine are right along side all my other highlands and potted in the same stuff. They seem fine now but it took a long time for them to come back after my drastic life saving tactics lol.

Tony

I find it interesting that it is so sensitive, because I've never had any problems with any highland species, even hamata. It's the touchiest plants I've ever known, other than certain lowland species. It looks much like alata, but is certainly not as forgiving as that species.

confused.gif
  I find this really odd, it grows well here although doesn't always pitcher.  pH of the coconut fiber is around 6.0 which I think is less acidic than sphagnum, so maybe you might try adjusting the pH the other way?  Don't know what else to suggest.

Bill was the guy in UK I was referring to.  We've shipped quite a few into Japan and Germany with no complaints but that doesn't always mean that everything is fine.  Bill, remind me in the spring and I'll send you another one to try.

One of the larger specimens in the nursery has a 12" pitcher on it, very long and tubular.  We're waiting for a male flower so we can describe it as a species.

I take a keen interest in any of our plants that don't do well after we ship tham and will try to find out what it is that we are doing that they like.  Perhaps they just don't like being shipped, so I'll try to pack one for a few weeks and re-establish it.

Hi
Here are a couple of rather burry examples, but hopefully they show the effect.

species2a.jpg

species2.jpg

It might well be a humidity problem if this species is more sensitive to this.
Its certainly been putting better growth on of late but with the curling increasing as the leaves grows.

cheers

bill

Hmm well kinda looks like a reaction to humidity drops/moisture stress. If the plant is getting bigger and making pitchers I guess I wouldn't be overly concerned. Maybe try keeping it someplace that maintains higher humidity and see what happens or just live with it, as long as the plant's health is not declining.

T

Its not produced any pitchers so far Tony in the 13 months of growing it. But this latest growth despite the curling on the leaves is certainly the best it has produced. So won't worry too much. Patience is usually rewarded with Neps
smile.gif

cheers

bill

That is very odd looking Bill. Kinda looks like when N.sanguinea is first unfurling a leaf(or is it a petiole?),I hope it gets better and gives you some pitchers:)

Back