Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here growing species 2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Is anyone here growing the Species 2 that comes from BE?
    My one is taking quite a while to settle in and has this habit of the edges of the leaves curling under itself at the edges. No pitchers either..

After an average summers growth, it has now started to put much better leaf growth on. But once again as the leaf gets bigger the edges are curling [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] None of my other Neps have ever shown this effect, even if they were ever stressed. It is growing with all my other highland Neps. Any ideas?
    I will post a photo later..

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some Bill. Photo would help. This plant seems to have leaves which are wavy etc.. so maybe yours are normal for the plant. How's your humidity? I almost never have a problem with plants establshing but this particular plant gave me some difficulty with low moisture symptoms so I suspect it does not like low humidity and humidity drops and has a problem dealing with them.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a batch of these from BE a while ago. Out of several hundred plants, that was the only species that did poorly. 1 died in quarantine, and 2 more died shortly afterwards. The remaining plants are stunted, pathetic specimens. Rob said that the same thing had happened to a batch that he'd taken with him for a customer in the UK. I have no idea what it is, as the plants in quarantine were kept in a special high humidity chamber. In addition to possible humidity sensitivity, I wonder if it is a pH thing - Rob grows his plant in coconut coir, which has a lower pH than sphagnum moss.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow an N. Hamata from BE, But i dont know what species it is, how can i tell?
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um Kirk...
    Genus Nepenthes
    Species hamata

Note the genus names starts with a capital while the species name starts lowercase.

So you have Nepenthes hamata
    BE has released 2 clones of N. hamata but I don't know which of the two you have as they arrive as a mix of the 2.

Species 2 indicates an unknown species labelled as number 2 for record keeping purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh sorry
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, it was starting to annoy me when people capitalize the species name....

Any way wasn't there another species number 2 that is different from that wavy leaf one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it gets confusing as species #____ is used by all the different suppliers and in even worse cases it's used by the same supplier for plants that are from different areas! ie.. sp2 from Sumatra.. sp2 from Borneo etc. Hence it's important to list which supplier your talking about and any other information they have for it.

Kirk.. nothing to be sorry about. Can get confusing all this nomenclature.

Hamish - I haven't noticed anything else about them once they got over their (very severe) moisture stress. Mine are right along side all my other highlands and potted in the same stuff. They seem fine now but it took a long time for them to come back after my drastic life saving tactics lol.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast