What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when i woke up this morning and plugged in the lights for my orchids that i dont have a timer for. my two highland nepenthes also sit in plastic bags for now amongst the orchids. to my surprise poking out the opening of my veitchii cuttings bag is a flower spike. now i was 99% sure when i purchased this cutting it was a female going by the dried flowers attached to the plant that had yet to be removed. the flowers buds do appear different from my male Miranda that is also in bloom at the moment. so who has pollen still availible? i know there were a couple male hamatas in bloom not long ago. the spike looks to contain between 30 and 40 flower buds. i would like to make some interesting crosses and hope not to be stuck using just Miranda pollen although i dont think that would be to bad of a cross. i figure i can use 2 or 3 types of pollen. the usuall 50/50 split of seeds will apply. if i have enough seeds from my 50% i will make some availible to forum members too i dont want the succes of the hybrids to rest sooly on me. going from my Miranda i think im about 10-14 days from the first flower opening. also here is a pic of what my pitchers look like. mine has yet to produce pitchers for me so i "stole" a pic from the website of the guy where i purchased it from. i do believe swords can chime in as to the quality of the pitchers as he has seen the parent plant several times at Orchids Limited.

Nepveit23B.jpg

You might be in luck. The flower stock on my eustachya dark might still have viable buds. Give me your address so I can send it as soon as possible if you want.

Man grats! I hope you can get some hamata pollen so you can produce some predators:) And with a mother like that it should be even nicer then the ones already out there:)

i do believe preditor uses truncata. and yes i found some hamata pollen along with a several other species. so far the hamata is the most interesting but i hope to try a couple different species. so far this is a list of pollen availible from a person, if they want to chime in as to their identity its up to them.

N. mira
N. maxima csuf
N. campanulata
N. hamata
N. truncata

i prolly wont try the camp as that prolly wont do much. truncata and veitchii are quite similar. im open to sugestions from the members here. if enough pollen is availible i would like to do half the flowers with hamata and use 2 more species for the other half of the flowers. i guess its wait and see at this point.

Rattler

Well if some one has a male veitchii that would be great because I would love to grow a striped veitchii. when they start going around
smile_n_32.gif

if there is interest and pollen availible i would be happy to do some pure species but i havent heard of any one witha pure veitchii blooming. im just happy there is hamata pollen availible. i cant afford the Predator hybrid so im glad i can do my own version. not quite the same but should be just as interesting. anything else i dont much mind what is used which is why i asked for suggestions as to what the members here would be interested in as i suspect most of my share of those crosses will go to the members here, im a bit short on space to have a whole bunch of different seed trays.

Rattler

I would like to see a maxima or miranda crossed into that...should prove interesting along with hamata.

I guess you could call yours N. x 'Vicious?"

Hello

I have some N. spathulata x maxima pollen let me know if you want any of it.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

The orchids Limited cutting? That's awesome man! I'm so jealous, i should have been more insistant on a cuting, it coulda been MY striped veitchii female in flower!
mad.gif

ha ha just kidding of course! I hope you can get some hamata pollen for it, that would be such a killer hybrid!
smile_n_32.gif

well here is what i have decided i will use:

hamata was there any doubt? i hope to do 1/2 the flowers with this, hopefully. i would like lots of seed availible so that its quite likly a few different excellent clones(some hopefully with big teeth) scattered around

maxima csuf because i was informed it is a very nice clone and pics ive seen of the other veitchii x maxima crosses have had outstanding pitchers

Jeremiah's spathulata x maxima because that plant of his is quite impressive, check out the pic on his website if you dont believe me

and if i have enough flowers lol's eustachya dark for something different and if there is still pollen availible.

any additional comments?

Rattler

All fine choices Sir. Of course I'm partial to the hamata cross. Could be interesting! Something unexpected hopefully!!
smile.gif
 The veitchii x maxima should be very nice as well.
Let me know if you have too many hamata x veitchii seeds
smile_m_32.gif

Good luck!
Robin

i think most everyone is partial to that cross and i hope it turns out well. i will definatly keep everyone informed of the progress.

Rattler

Wow, is that exciting! I can't wait for my young-ish plants to flower and get seeds, myself. The hamata cross is the most intriguing, but your slam-dunk winner is veitchii x maxima. Every one of those I've seen is awesome.

Capslock <-- not above begging for seeds.

i agree while the hamata cross will be new and different but for shear outstanding pitchers it SHOULD be the maxima cross but i do believe the cross with Jeremiah's spathulata x maxima will give it a run for its money. those are some awesome pitchers on that plant of his. compine its collor with the striping from the veitchii, both with large flaring peristromes, it will be hard to beat.

Rattler

Is your cutting already properly rooted and growing? If you have bad luck you are just witnessing a stress reaction of a plant that 'thinks' it is about to die.
I don't hope so, just be warned.
Good luck, Volker
PS: Check the pollen database that you find as a sticky thread in this forum for the right match.

actually i do believe it is rooted although i havent taken it out of the pot to check as that may break the fragile newly developed roots. it produced 4 healthy looking leaves for me before developing the flower stalk so i believe it is fine and not overly stressed. the cutting cost me $50 so i have been babying it. if i actually thought the flower spike was causing to much stress i would have cut it off as i have been informed that i would probably not beable to purchase a replacement should it die. thanks for the concern though

I can't wait to see the hybrids.. are you planning on putting some up in the trading forum?

if there is extra seed it will be placed for cost of shipping on the trade forum. you need to understand by the time the seed develops it may still be winter up here and i may be forced to use heat packs to ship the seed hence extra lil bit of cost. i wouldnt hold your breath for the hamata cross. it doesnt sound like ill be recieving lots of pollen as the owner of th pollen wants to keep some in storage. the other two i should have enough extras to spread around. if the germination rate is high with the hamata cross their will be lil plants availible in the future for VERY reasonable terms.
smile_m_32.gif

Back