Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible fungus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, I also believe it is a fungus. As I've said before, labs tests I've had done on my collection by the Botanic Gardens have found colletotrichum, cercospora and mycosphaerella fungus as common Nepenthes pathogens. There are a couple of other types that have been identified in lab work on other collections.

I think I've also mentioned that thiophanata methyl is the best treatment for leaf fungal attacks. But there are several things to note. It's not a "one-treatment" fix - there needs to be three or four treatments at set intervals, as most fungicides kill only the fungus and not the spores, so after one treatment, the existing spores start to grow.

With thiophanata methyl, it is in a class of fungicides which has shown resistance patterns in field tests. If you use it continuously, you will end up with resistant strains. You need to alternate it with a different family of fungicide, or use a mixed fungicide (where several families are in one mixture). Zyban is one I know of. It is not cheap though.

The other thing with fungicides is there will be side effects. You'll get a bit of deformed new growth for a couple of leaves, or thickened growth. Nothing serious. However, some species can be touchy with some fungicides. I had a nasty experience with Bayleton on highland truncata.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hamish,

I just went through my old email to look for the ones where you made the above suggestions, so thanks again.

Having some trouble locating a source for Zyban. Do you know of one?

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish pretty much as it all spelled out. Your probably going to need to find a place that deals in products for commercial growers. The ones Hamish listed are not garden center products. Maybe contact one of the commercial nurseries too and see if they can help.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony and Hamish.

Wheels are already in motion to get some Zyban.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron,

Egad! How do the undersides of the leaves look, especially on the N. merrilliana? Are there any brown blisters, sort of like raised to the touch, or do the undersides show similar damage characteristics to the upper surface?

Do be careful not to touch these plants and then touch any others in your collection without washing your hands. Also suggest you make sure that if you water from above that water doesn't splash from one plant to another.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

I feel like I must be missing something but what's "Egad!"?

The first two photos on page 1 show the upper and under side of the N. truncata x ventricosa. Is that the blistering you are referring to and does it mean something to you? I'll have to check under the Merrilliana tonight. I've admittedly not looked in my attempts to not ouch these plants!

It 'looks' like the upper surface is slightly concave while the under does look somewhat blister-like or raised.

No worries on the watering as I only top water using a watering can and not on the leaves (direct on to the soil/moss surface only). Plus I am only watering about 1x per week right now as it's not too warm yet.

I'll be careful with the hands too.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just adding a thought….

Chicken or the egg?

Upon thinking about this pathogen some more, these effected plants are plants that have not gown as vigorously as I would have expected given their parentage or compared to other samples of the same plant. The N. merrilliana maybe as it’s a new plant and I’m not catering to pure lowland conditions, but the others definitely.

So, could this be a case that, for some reason, these plants are stressed to a degree that has allowed an already present pathogen to gain a foothold?

Or, could it be that this pathogen already had a foothold and subsequently effected the vigour and health of these plants?

My gut feeling would be that the latter is more likely to be the case given that most of these plants SHOULD have been pretty well set in my intermediate conditions.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your answers guys. Aaron thanks for posting the pics for proper identification. I have overlooked this as regular aging of some leaves.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] That explaines a few things..I have some Zyban on the way too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast