Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Possible fungus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the great/informative posts on this subject! So now I have my 3lbs. of Zyban here. Should be enough to kill the fungus, and stop me smoking...
    I am wondering what concentration to use. So for those of you that use Zyban on your neps ( Hamish, Aaron) , can you please tell me what concentration to use? Do you suggest Rob's application technique with this product, or perhaps a different one?
    Of course I release you from any liability in the matter. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance,
    Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robin,

Sorry don't have any Zyban as yet (Hamish?) so cannot comment personally.

About all i iknow of it so far is in this thread, so I'm more interested to see how you go [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in the absence of responses, I decided to KISS. So I followed the mixing instructions on the bag and applied liberally to all my neps, trying to keep it off the developing pitchers. I did not get too much into the soil. Fortunately my plants did not vaporize before my very eye's, so I think I did it right.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking fungus. I know that older leaves die away as new ones grow, but that doesn't look like the normal dying away. I'd use a systemic fungicide.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony and Rob,

Do symptoms such as this occur in temperatures that are too cold? My suggestion was possibly it was having an adverse affect on species and hybrids that is a lowland or is part of a lowland that would much prefer a warmer climate. 20 degrees would probably be too cold for these plants and 25 degrees would be much safer.

In addition to using a systemic fungicide such as fongarid, I believe it is safe to assume that it will not cure the spots that have developed on existing leaves, but will protect the new growth from become infected. Hence, chop off the infected leaves and burn them once the new growth has developed enough.

C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, symptoms like those can occur when conditions are too cold but I believe that the damage usually starts at the leaf margin and works its way in. Others will know far more about that than me as we rearely have cold nights here!

Systemic funcicide or any other chemical won't cure the existing damaged areas they are already dead or dying but will hopefully prevent it spreading if the chemical is effective.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to lead on from Christian's questions....

Assume that it is colder temps that are causing or contributing to the appearance of the pathogen and subsequent leaf damage. IF the temps were low enough to have caused the plant to weaken to a degree that allowed the pathogen to cause this damage, wouldn't you expect to see other sings of the plant not responding well to the lower temps such as: slow or no growth, poor pitcher development, etc?

In my particular case and at this stage I'm not attributing low temps to the issue, as this pathogen does appear about equally on both LL and HL plants.

LL - N. truncata x vent and Merriliana

HL - N. sanguinea and N. fusca

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were indeed cold temperatures as you mention, you might see other growth symptoms if it were a prolonged situation. However pathogens can cause infection in the short term so a single or temporary situation long enough for infection but not long enough to cause long term growth problems could also be the case. Personally I think pathogens are generally more of an issue during situations of too warm conditions.

What do those leaves look like now Aaron? Have the spots continued to get larger before and/or after applying fungicide?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast