Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible fungus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have what I think might be some type of fungus (or something else) on some of my Nep leaves.

It ONLY effects the oldest leaves on the plant that have no pitcher anymore. It is also ONLY on a few plants and does not appear to be impacting on new growth.

At first I passed it off as simply the leaves dying but it seems a bit different to when they usually brown off.

Even if it is harmless it is unsightly so any thoughts as to what it might be and if there is anything to combat it?

N. truncata x ventricosa (top and bottom of leaf) - worst effected)

N. (tobaica x ovata) x (bellii x veitchii)

N. merilliana

N. sanguinea

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks reminiscent of a virus. Let's hope for your sake it isn't. I'm probably completely wrong as my experience with Neps is pretty much non-existent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,

it looks like something has bitten into the leafes and fungus has entered through these wounds. Have you tried a systematic fungizide?

Good luck!

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have similar spots on some of my plants. I would really like to know what it is too. I have heard that it is due to cold temps, but I'm not sure about that. I'll look into system fungicides as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Joachim,
    I've tried no treatments as yet as up until the last few days I had taken it to simply be part of the process when a leaf is dying off.

As for the bitting, I have no idea what would have I've not see ANY bug or pest in the glasshouse other than the odd slug or snail and my resident colonies of ants. 99% sure none of them are the culprit. Certainly no small bugs like mites, thrips, aphids, scale, etc, etc.

I also have some plants that have sustained small amounts of leaf damage through transportation and it seems not to have appeared at those sites.

A while back Hamish mentioned a few locally available systemic fungicides, so I might give one of those a try unless someone here is able to give a more accurate idea of what this might be.

@ rlhirst,
    I've actually seen it on plants in quite a few people collections. I'm sure it's nothing overly sinister and am hoping it's just some type of fungus that has that inpact on older/weaker leaves.

I would say that cold temps are an issue for me so that could be rulled out. Minimum night temp is about 13C with the average being closer to 15C.

Anyone else got an idea?

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like a leaf spot fungus or virus. It appears that it is affecting only the older leaves.

Here is what I found on a cached version of
    www.malesiana.tropicals.com.my/cultiv-nep.html
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Leaf-spot fungus, which is a common problem in some species especially when grown in bright sunlight, can be effectively treated with thiophanate-methyl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if the spots continue to get larger then it would be some sort of pathogen. Also the reddish area surrounding the necrotic area speaks pathogen. My guess would be fungus. Bacterial pathogens usually move very fast and cause a clear liquidy look and often ooze.

I would not say it's just affecting the older leaves. The N. merrilliana and N. truncata x ventricosa are showing it on all but the newest leaf. It's not as bad on them because it is a slow progressing pathogen, but they are already infected.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BobZ,
    Thanks for that link. Certainly my setup does recieve hight light.

@Tony,
    In your experience, have you actually seen this before or have any suggestions? My hope was that this was something not overly unusualy that other may have experienced.

Aaron.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast