Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just like to interject that x ventrata is actually a hybrid of two highland species. Though it is tollerant, I'm not sure how well it will fair through your summers....Unless you run the a/c at night.

x Coccinea, on the other hand, is a sturdy lowland hybrid. You could also try N. truncata (if you have space.... it gets rather large) or N. gracilis. These are forgiving lowland species.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a daily misting good enough with that low of a humidity?
    I would think not, but some of you know better than I.
    Otherwise, lowlanders could grow outside for you for much of the year and then be brought in for the cooler months.
    Intermediates would work indoors-ventrata and khasiana x ventricosa are very vigorous hybrids and I can't think of a better pair off the top of my head to try. Some N. alata forms are intermediate and pure N. ventricosa is along thos elines too. Somebody already mentioned truncata...I have read in several threads where the more common lowland form seems to be tolerant of cooler conditions.

Cheers,

Joe

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you go too crazy, try the ventrata. If you can get it to grow and pitcher, then try some others. The ventrata is very tolerant. We grow it here in south Florida as a lowlander during the summer, and an intermediate highlander in winter.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone want a ventrata, PM me. I have about 6 of them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] don't ask.. one of them went basal crazy...
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute, there's intermediate neps too? What are the conditions for them? Would they be good for TX?

P.S. Sorry Amateur_Expert, I already have 3 ventratas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warm days.. 80-85, and cool nights low 60s and you can grow about 80% of the Nepenthes species out there without too much difficulty. Provided other environmental conditions are suitable as well.

Generally I consider lowland plants anything that wants to be kept hot and humid all the time and if you deviate from that the plants react badly. Highland plants.. cool and humid etc.. and everything in between which falls into intermediate and fits the bill for the range I gave above.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12