Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I'm pretty new to neps, and I was wondering if I should grow highlands or lowlands. I'm in Central Texas zone 7, so I'm guessing lowland. If anyone knows for sure what I should be growing, then please tell me so I will know what species to get. Any help will be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will probably find that lowlands are the easiest to start off with. They grow better in warm conditions, but not much over 90F and take temperatures down into the low 70's at night. Highland Nepenthes need cooler temperatures, down the the low 50's at night and no warmer than 80F during the day, perferable day temps in the 70's.

N. x ventrata
    N. x coccinea
    N. ampullaria
    N. x miranda
    These are a few starters. The x means that its a hybrid of one or more species.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am not from central Texas so I can only take a guess and say for the most part it is probably mild during the Winter and even hotter during the Summer. While temperatures are important other factors such as humidity may play a role.

Are you planning on growing them as a houseplant? In a terrarium all year? Outdoors? Indoors/outdoors as the weather permits? Outdoors in a greenhouse structure? etc etc..

Basically asking what you have in mind and what kind of conditions do you think you will have both on a short daily basis from day/night and longer term throughout the year. The more information you provide the better the suggestions will be tailored to your situation.

Tony

ps.. that green text is nearly impossible to read on a properly calibrated monitor [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to grow them indoors as a houseplant. The humidity is usually 40-50% inside. The temperature stays around 70 degrees indoors. Outside temps are 90-105 in the summer, and 50-25 in the winter. The second number of each set rarely happens. The room it will be in has two skylights so it will get alot of light. Is there any other information that will be needed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    misting them a few times a week wouldn't hurt
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mist all of my other plants regulalarly. But they are inside my terrarium. Now that I know I should go with lowlands, are any of the neps in my wantlist highlands? My Wantlist If there are any highlands I will take them out. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to grow them as house plants, i suggest highlands. Ventrata, khasiana and Maxima are easy highlands. I doubt its 90 degrees in your house, so highlands are the best way to go.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I'll start with highlands and if I succeed i'll try lowlands. I already have a ventrata and a khasiana x ventricosa, so I guess highlands are fine here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast