What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland or lowland?

Im starting to get confused as to which type is easier to grow as a housplant on a windowsill or in a hanging wooden crate. I live in New Jersey so outdoor temp.s are relatively moderate except for winter and summer. I know some highlands that are fairly easy to keep but which is actually easier? should i create a terrarium for lowlands and keep highlands as houseplants? what do you all think
I was sparked to ask this because of horticulturaist's(spell) post

If you want to grow Nepenthes on a windowsill, then they are highland Nepenthes.

For easy to grow highlands, they are Ventricosa, x Ventrata and Khasiana.

I would use terrariums for lowlands but not all highlands can be grown as windowsill plants. (the pnes above could be grown as windowsill plants.)

i should just get one of each and see which does best where

yeah there are easy high and lowland Nepenthes

highland: Ventricosa, Alata, x Ventrata, Khasiana
lowland: Truncata, Gracilis

highlands are definately easier to grow as houseplants. They are less demanding of humidity and require lower temperatures. If your house isn't a constant 90 during the day, i recommend highlands. Ventrata, khasiana, and maxima.

All the lowlands I have like lots of humidity I can't grow them in my house because it gets to cold as well, I tried gracilis and trucata on my window sill but suffered quickly from lack of humidity. Mind you my room has a 150 gallon reef that keeps my room VERY humid (for me that is) but they still suffered from lack of humidity and warmth... I haven't tried highlanders on my window sill, haven't seen one that peeks my interest. I live in a canyon in socal btw...

On my windowsill i grow:
(highland) Ventrata, Sanguinea, Alata, Ventricosa, Ephippiata, Macfarlanei,Maxima,Burbidgeae. Though i have found i can grow most any highland, exept for the ultrahighlands (villosa etc) and stuff like hamata with a super-high humidity requirement.
I used to grow a (lowland) Rafflesiana, Truncata. But they did better once i moved them in to my hothouse. I have heard that N. Albomarginata is good on a windowsill.
Also, i will experiment with Lowii and Macrophylla on a windowsill. I spoke to Peter D'Amato from C.A. carnivores and he said they would do the best of the ultrahighlanders on a windowsill
Hope that Helped.

In most cases it will depend on what the weather is like in your country. Both Highlands and lowlands are easy providing you meet their individual requirements. The ultra highlands and lowlands are not difficult but require that extra more care.

For a highland I would start with a Khasiana. I say this because I have found them to be tolerant in extreme conditions. I have one growing outside in the open and has experienced severe frosts and excessive heat with fluctuating humidities between 30% - 90% It is constantly pitchering and my avatar is a photo of a pitcher from last summer (southern hemisphere) which is still hanging to this day. The plant has now surpassed the 2 metre mark and still growing. And if I can grow it outside, surely you can grow it on a windowsill.

C

Back