Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ne. edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's true Gus. But it would be incorrect to say that such a plant must have been obtained illegally if it turns up at a nursery. It could very well be they had permission.

I don't know the specifics on obtaining permission. Some locations are more strict than others. Many understand to help preserve the plants in nature an effort must also be made in cultivation/conservation. Reducing the pressure on wild plants by smugglers is one way. Making the plants available for a reasonable price commercially goes a long way.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't plants found in National Parks completely protected, including seed? I don't know what law that would break, but at least here in the US you can't even remove a rock if it's within the boundaries of a Nat'l Park. I don't know at what level this is enforced.
    I know there are channels to get protected and CITES listed plants into commercial propagation legally and above board. There's a Paphiopedilum nursery not too far from Tony that offers Paph. vietnamensis, a species only recently discovered.

Gus, what's this about a newly found variety of N. rajah? Please illuminate us with what you've heard!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeds can be taken from wild. A person from the GFP forums took some Ne. fusca seeds with him in his Borneo trip and sold them in Germany.
    What would be very interesting is if any nursery is working on reproducing Ne. edwardsiana. And what about the new variety of Ne. rajah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find that collecting any material from National Parks without a permit is illegal in most countries, be it plants, seeds and even rocks in some places. If those fusca seeds were collected within the boundaries of a national park, then I can almost guarantee you they were not legally collected. Permits are also extremely difficult to get hold of.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren't the only ones wanting an Edwardsiana. I want one too. If any one will have them, it's:
    www.*************
    www.exoticplantsplus.com
    and maybe a few others. Those have a great selection though.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123