What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazine article

For those of you who may be interested there is a very well done article in the Nov. 2004 edition of Orchids magazine on Nepenthes as a companion plant for orchids. Nice pictures, good descriptions of the basic species, and info on how to grow them. It's mainly aimed at beginners - like me - but very helpful. (I read it first!)
It may become available online for those who don't have access.

I can't understand why there is no orchid, CP and exotic plant publications on the shelves at the newsstands, only available by joining some organization. I know I'd buy it if it was no strings attached at the newsstand!

I know it there are enough of us out there. I mean why can`t I get a Nep mag?
smile_h_32.gif
Without joining like the ICPS.

I'm an experienced publisher of retail newsstand magazines (heavy metal mags) I'd be willing to give such a publication a go if I only knew it would be possible to secure enough advertising to produce 4-6 issues per year. Advertising content for a retail magazine to be picked up by a national/international distributor needs to be at least 30%. So a 52 page magazine would need about 13 full pages of advertisements each issue from whomever might advertise in such a publication to ensure being picked up by a large scale distributor. The adrates also go to pay the magazines production costs and some reporter/photographer assignment fees. Not to mention the standard practice of newsstands is to return the COVERS ONLY for unsold copies, the rest of the magazne is recycled...

The main thing I would fear is what happened with the metal mag, it gets a huge response after a few issues in the stores and then the advertisers start to pull out when the rates increase due to distributor demand for additional copies!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Sometimes single issues are available on a limited basis from the publisher/organization. But it would have to be of highly special interest to me to be worth it...

Wow Josh,
That was really interesting. How many people would really be interested at the magazine stand? I guess you would target the exotic pet market, and request that the mag be placed in that section??? Otherwise, it would never find it readers stuck in with "Modern Gardening" and the magazines my mom would read.

Trent

I read those modern gardening mags???

But Pond Boy, you're a unique individual who does not fit the demographic
smile.gif

Trent

The AOS actually considered putting their publication on the newstand and not just issuing it as a periodical. Alot of the changes from the small size AOS bulletin to a larger 'magazine' look and renaming it to Orchids was geared to this goal. Why it didn't go through in the end.. I don't recall.

Tony

why not shoot for an "exotics" magazine in general
not just CPs, and not just orchids.

articles about different species, shows, plantings, personal trials, pictures of peoples plants, information on places for more information (lol), terrariums and setups, vivariums, companion plants, planting hints, descriptions, plants of the month, specifics of a species needs from sedding to blooming, greenhouses, dealers hints and examples or stories, diseases, societies, communities, news about conservation ideas underway or battles in prgress

advertising:
from dealers, to distributors, to personals, to gardening suppliers, to general ads by walmart or car dealers etc, warnings by conservation groups about different areas under threat

i think there is quite a bit a person could do with an "exotics" magazine

but thats just my opinion

Back