What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i name my hybrid yet?

Just wondering if I could give a name to my hybrid N. aristolochoides x thorelli x Miranda or if I must wait to see what it looks like when it's grown up and decribe it fully?

Any horticultural "law" experts hanging around this spooky eve (Trent, I'm thinkin of you pal PM me)!
smile_m_32.gif

In what stage is the plant currently in? Just seeds..?
confused.gif

I think you can name it whenever you want but if the plant ends up an ugly hybrid no one wants the plant anyway so I would first wait and see what it looks like.
smile_m_32.gif

Well good question. As far as the ICPS you can't give it a registered cultivar name yet.

Some growers use the hybrid grex nomenclature used for orchid registration, such as N. Predator (truncata x hamata). Technically this is not recognized either so that if someone wanted to register a cultivar with the ICPS that was unique they could still give it any name they wanted.

At least this is the way I understand it.

Tony

Thanks Tony and Trent (via PM) for helping clarify how/when I can do an official name.

So from what I understand from Trent that hybrid/grex/cultivar names can NOT be in the Latin? I researched such a nice powerful name...!
smile_h_32.gif

Yeah you can't use a latinized name. They don't want any potential for confusion.

T

You should grow your plants for a while to be sure the distinguishing quality is consistent. You also need to be sure of your reproductive methods to insure that the character is passed on. It is better to grow a large number of the plants to get an idea of the variation plant to plant. Tony is correct, Latinizations are out. They are reserved for publication at a higher rank.

On the other hand, you get to be creative with the name which should come easy for you! I suggest you pick something that will result in a two week Listserve flame war, it always fun irritating pseudoscientific snobs and will serve to call attention to your cultivar.

My hoped for name was Nepenthes Dominus (trans. lord or master), since my plants are my masters! I wake up when my terrariums come on (like the sun coming up inside the house) and I go to bed when the lights go off (sometimes I don't but you get the idea).

Ha, Tam, that's why I hardly read any listserve (or orchid forum) stuff anymore. It get's just totally unproductive and rediculous, I just wanna grow plants, help preserve an endangered species or two and have fun for pete's sake!
smile.gif

I will play Devil's Advocate....or maybe just a minor pawn, as Tony and trent know way more than I do.
How is calling his cross N. Dominus illegal(especially if he keeps it capitalized like that)? This is not a cultivar, at this point, it's a cross, right? Sort of like N. Dominii being rafflesiana x gracilis(I hope I have the right ones on that). Or are those names screwed up and just kept to keep things from getting really messed up?
Just curious.
I was wondering when that flame war was finally going to die out, but IMHO, I think Matt took more hits then you Tamlin, or Joseph.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Josh, Joe and all,
N. dominii was the first man made Nepenthes hybrid. It was (or is)N. rafflesiana x N. gracilis. All those old Victorian hybrids were given pseudoscientific names before there were standards for horticultural registration. Some of them were even scientically described-a full latin description written!
Josh, you could take your baddest looking plant from the grex-the one that stands out above all the others- and register it as N. 'Dominator'. That is an english word firmly rooted in its latin origins without being latin, and retain the meaning you intended.

Trent

That sounds good N.Dominator But will his plants be? Of course with parents like miranda x aristo they should be very vigorous,but they may be ugly weeklings you just don`t know with hybrids.Lol.

Only one plant out the entire group could be given the name N. 'Dominator'. Cultivars are individuals with unique characteristics. Other 'good' siblings would be given different names.

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Only one plant out the entire group could be given the name N. 'Dominator'. Cultivars are individuals with unique characteristics. Other 'good' siblings would be given different names.

Trent

Yes. You could name a sister plant N. 'Dominatrix.'

>
smile.gif

Sexy!  Great name. hahaha!  "Buy me now you little wimp".

The trouble with arguing with Matt is he is devoid of logic or consistency in his rantings, although I certainly admired the efforts of those who tried! The best was accusing me of being a cut throat cultivar thief. Better not share any Drosera with the likes of me, especially those Brazillian ones, muahahahaha!!!! I loved it when after what, 2 WEEKS of the nonsense by these cp dignitaries Dr. Jan Shalauer essentially told them all they didn't know what the hay they were talking about! It probably took him that long to figure it out what they were on about as well.

Anyways, I loved it! Not only do I have my cultivar names registered I also got a rise out of the Mighty. Sometimes life is sweet.

Well, ta ta. I am off to steal some more cultivars. Better get them registered before I do. Just remember folks, anything that isn't nailed down is mine, and anything I can pry up isn't nailed down.
smile.gif

Awww relax. I am just KIDDING! Note the smiley.

Back