Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soil question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this mulch? Mulch, to me, is whatever you put down around trees to keep moisture in and slowly break down. Some mulches are shredded wood products like cyprus or cedar, and some people use that in place of orchid bark in their mixes.
    I guess I would like to know the composition of your mulch before I jump to conclusions. The lack of putchers could be lack of humidity. I don't think I could grow a nep as a house plant no mater how many times I misted it a day.
    Odds are, though, that repotting to a more conventional medium is not a bad idea.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of pitchers generally equates to either humidity too low or light not bright enough. How much light is the mother plant getting? You mention it is very green which could indicate insufficient light.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This mulch is just plain shredded conifer bark, no additives.
    Mother plant is in the northen windowsill but it's very bright. Other solution is southern windowsill but I've heard that neps don't love direct sunlight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Nepenthes would prefer some sun for at least a few hours a day. I would move it to higher light but do it a little at a time. The plant will be sensitive to burning until it adjusts.

This time of the year up here in the North my shade cloth is off the greenhouse except for a little strip up at the peak of 30%. The greenhouse gets full sun all day but because of the shorter days and low angle of the sun the plants could actually use even more light than they currently get.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure it is pure. Many mulches use scrap lumber as a component-including pressure treated-which is the kiss of death for Nepenthes. We have been very successful with one particular brand of cypress mulch that is 95 percent pure. The other 10 percent is miscellaneous hardwoods-no lumberyard leftovers. The cypress mulch seems to break down a lot slower than fir bark, and when blended with sphagnum moss, coconut husk chips, aliflor and a little peat, we get a long lasting mix perfect for our Nepenthes. Plus, it does not support evil nematodes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] .
    We are lucky to have a large Mango tree growing west of our greenhouse. In summer it creates a partial shade that helps cut the heat, much to the happiness of our intermediate growers. That tree just survived two hurricanes and was subjected to winds up to one hundred miles per hour!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums Sneps! I agree more light and a more conventional compost are in order.Just make sure to adjust the light gradualy
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy? Ha! These things are tropical. Not temperate. TROPICAL! These do not go dormant.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that could have been said a little nicer, but they have no dormancy requiremnts. If you don't know what it is , I would shoot for intermediate conditions. Maybe 80s at the highest and sixties at the lowest. If you can snap a pic, we might be able to tell you what it is.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast