What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macophylla, platychilda, jaquelineae

I'm looking into getting one of the above Nepenthes species, does anyone have any pointers?
(Speed of growth, Humidity, Temperature)
Thanks!

come one! Anyone? Please?
confused.gif

Judging by your screen name, I'd assume you'd already have te answers to these. But since you are impatient and request help, I will help best I can.

All are highland plants and require nights in the 50's(f) or 10 © range at night. Humidity, light should both be very good. Spped of growth for N. macrophylla is relatively fast. No expierence with the other two.

I was hoping for a little more specific info, but thanks on the info for the speed of Macrophylla.
Even though i consider myself very knowledgeable for nepenthes, i don't know everything about all the species.
Only Peter D'Amato knows everything about Nepenthes.
But i can tell you a whole lot about many other species.

I doubt Peter does. Hes more of the VFT/Drosera expert. Talk to Jeff Shafer or Tony Paroubek if you want to know everything.

Actually, they're not all highland plants. Macrophylla is a highland plant, and so is jacquelineae. Platychila, however, is a true intermediate, being found at 900m to 1,400 m, so it doesn't need the type of night temperature drops as true highland species. Macrophylla, as noted, grows quite rapidly. Jacquelineae is much slower. I don't have much experience with platychila and we only have seedlings from Rob so they're way too small to give any reliable data on, but given it's altitidinal affinity and it's location, it should grow at much the same pace as vogelii, which is reasonably fast. Jeff Shafer would be able to give you substantive views on that one.

As for humidity, all Nepenthes like high humidity, some are more temperamental than others, but humidity is a key ingredient to success.

Anyway, I would not lump these three species into the same basket.

I did not know platychilla was intermediate. Good news for me down the road, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

I thought Platychila was a highland too...
Anyway, thanks! I have heard that Macrophylla can grow on a windowsill, is that true? I get a drop in to the fifties at night in the winter, and low to mid sixties in the summer, i can keep the humidity above 70% at all times, is that good enough?

Oh, and Grascilis?
Leon from borneo exotics probably knows more than them, he supplies Ca Carnivores, cook's and a whole lot more.

This isn't a contest about who knows more so knock it off you two.

N. jacquelineae and N. macrophylla grow alongside each other quite happily in our highland nursery, 25 deg. C max day and 12 deg. C min night. Hamish's advice regarding keeping humidity high is good. Plants can adapt somewhat to lower humidities given time but fluctuaions in conditions are never good.

As pointed out, N. platycila comes from a somewhat lower altitude and *may* grow as an intermediate species, not needing quite such a low temperature at night. However, this species is new to cultivation and no-one has all the answers yet. We grow it in the same nursery as N. jacquelineae and N. macrophylla and haven't tried it in warmer conditions yet but we are dealing with the same tiny but robust seedlings that pretty much everyone else is growing. You can try Jeff Schafer's excellent website at http://www.plantswithattitude.com/ since Jeff is usually at the forefront with growing tips on newly introduced species.

Best of luck!

Hi All,

It's actualy my master Rob Cantley that knows all about Nepenthes. I'm just a humble servant in his kingdom.

Leon
biggrin.gif

HAHA Like your username Leon.
smile_n_32.gif

N. macrophylla would not be what I consider the fastest of the bunch. It's one of those species that I feel moves slow but can make great strides with each leaf provided conditions are excellent. It doesn't appear to be quite as demanding of cold temperatures as it's natural altitude range would seem to indicate, but I do agree that steady high humidity is a must. Also seems to prefer an open mix with alot of sphagnum moss.
N. jacquelineae is a speed demon for me and new leaves and pitchers at a steady fast pace. Going from a 3/4" plant to over 7" in 18 months is no slouch. Seems happy with warm days and reasonably cool nights. Again steady high humidity as the leaves are long thin and the tendrils are even longer.
N. platychila .. haven't grown them long enough but so far seem quite content with my intermediate/highland setup.

Tony

Dear Mr. System Error:

Last time i heard, you were being cloned. So please specify which system error are you? 1, 2, 3.....Oh well, i guess they all have the same opinion......

smile_n_32.gif

I love plantswithattitude.com, but i also like www.cpjungle.com/nu301.htm that also provides good information, but a few key neps are missing. By the way, i've herd that Sanguinea is about as fast as that Jacquelinaea. I've heard stories from the net that that species can increase in size by sixfold in about a year. Thanks for the info on that Macrophylla. I can keep the humidity pretty high, there is always condensation on the windows (even in summer) since between all my neps i have bowls of overly waterlogged sphagnum. The heating doesn't work in my room anyway, so i guess that won't be a problem, i just won't get it fixed. My house is only heated at 60F at night anyway, and i've heard that Macs can grow as an intermediate for almost 6 months (courtesy of www.cpjungle.com/nu301.htm). So i think it will do well since the winters are cool.
Thanks Guys. i think i'll get a Jacquelinaea as soon as someone i know gets one. Same with Platychila. If you guys can tell me who has one of those available, tell me. I know that exoticplantsplus has some Macs.

Thanks!
Dave:)

Hi Leon,

Nice to finally hear from "He who moves trees", lol.
Can we refer to you as "Nep Vader" and Rob as "Nep Sidius" then....?
smile.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Folks,

Might as well chime in here too. I've found that macrophyllas are slower growing than jacquelineae, and DEFINITELY slower than sanguinea. I grow Wistuba's clones and one of Rob's seed grown guys outdoors yearround. The macs are very hardy with no problems. Had 'em get into 90's for a spell and upper 30's F on occasion with no problem. My jacs have made steady progress as Tony has suggested. The jacs seem to produce longer leaves and tendrils while macrophylla is more "stocky". My platychila is outdoors and appears just fine. Too early to tell about that guy until next spring. To me, sanguinea is in my top 10 easy of the fastest and most robust highlanders. It's one of my prime candidates to experiment with outdoors. Dude can take a lot of abuse! Hope that info helps.

Good growin'
Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Back