What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp

I just received this Amp a few days ago and am looking for ways to make it look a little better as you can see in the middle it has about 6 inches of just brown stick like appearance. Any Ideas on how I can make it look better?

387DCP_0355-med.JPG

Weeellll. Since you have basal shoots.
You could cut the vine at the ground level. Remove the majority of brown stem, and root the nice green top part.

would that result in a new vine coming up from the basal shoot?

Well the basal shoot would eventualy vine out but it could take a while....

As rlhirst said, whack it! That's about the only way to get rid of the long section of bare stem. Doing so could result in you having two plants instead of one. The basal shoots of the original plant will continue to grow and (if it roots) the top part will become your new plant. One or more of the basal shoots will eventually begin to vine out as the main part of the plant has and you can repeat the process when the bare stem gets too long again.

Thanks, when i try to root the top part do i need to cut the leaves back as suggested on other cuttings?

Is it just in my head or not: I've heard amps are quite difficult to root. Perhaps in this case, might it be better to let this ugly stem grow out some more, such that you could make more cuttings and increase your chanes of success in this matter?

I would like to add that you may want to leave it, actually. Amps have a tendency to sprout "rings" of pitchers along the vine after it's gone brown.

It's probably just me, but I would leave the top on until the plant gets situated from shipping (And I just like the bare stem thing, makes it look like a tree)

If i were you, i wouldn't take a cutting, the longer the stem, the older the plant is, the older the plant is, the more respected it is.

Back