What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wonder we call agar

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Lately I have been using Agar for a multitude of things. I have learned that it is extremely helpful in keeping mountings from drying out. Just mix lightly in potting mix.
It is also great for starting seeds. I have used it mixed with bird crap and the seed stuck in the middle of this little glob. Instant germination. This makes sense since many plants rely on birds to eat the fruit and digest it and then "release" it on another branch or the ground. (I buy bird crap as an organic fertilizer, already dehydrated)

So far in the experiment stage, I have mixed it very, very diluted with wetter water. This is sprayed onto leaves and so far it seems to keep leaves hydrated in very low humidity. This has only been 2 weeks, though.

Joe

LOL, I am glad you buy it ready-made for your purposes! I was hoping you were not sprinting below flying birds with a pot ofr something to catch the droppings.
smile_n_32.gif

Is this stuff pure bird poop? Have you thought about using a teeny bit in Nepenthes pitchers? Supposedly N. lowii uppers are made for this kind of treat. I mentioned that to someone once who had both lowii uppers and rabbits in the next room. I don't know if he ever tried it.

Cheers,

Joe

laugh.gif

Somebody had said something about me scooping poopings, so I specified.

The crap I buy is peruvian sea bird guano. It is pure and dehydrated as compacted chunks. I dissolve them in distilled water then filter through a coffee filter. This leaves a tea. The chunky matter left in the filter paper is mashed down to a smooth mud then dried. After it has dried then I mix it with the Agar.
I use the tea very dilluted as a foliar spray.

I have considered using droppings from my friends Macaw. These birds provide the kind of nutrient rich crap that epiphytes would use naturally. I have been putting it off though since I would have to hand scoop this myself.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Nov. 05 2004,3:59)]
laugh.gif

Somebody had said something about me scooping poopings, so I specified.

The crap I buy is peruvian sea bird guano. It is pure and dehydrated as compacted chunks. I dissolve them in distilled water then filter through a coffee filter. This leaves a tea. The chunky matter left in the filter paper is mashed down to a smooth mud then dried. After it has dried then I mix it with the Agar.
I use the tea very dilluted as a foliar spray.

I have considered using droppings from my friends Macaw. These birds provide the kind of nutrient rich crap that epiphytes would use naturally. I have been putting it off though since I would have to hand scoop this myself.

Joe
Remind me to never drink coffee at your house...

Lol.I could supply it(bird excrement) by the 50#s full! I got so much chicken poop I don`t know what to do witth it(I dump it under my plum trees though and it does wonders) Hmmm. maybe if we get a mcps meeting going I could bring some? Nah....Mom wouldn`t like that stuff in the car!!!!(But Guinea poop is already realy dry and non-offensive:))

I dont, and cant advocate the trading of bird excrements, but maybe this would be a really good organic fertilizer. I know lowii would think so.

I wonder how bird excrements are doing on Dow Jones?

Back