Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Awesome hibrid idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Is it male or female? If you make a hybrid, cross it onto your most spectacular highlander in flower. The villosa cross would be fantastic, but what would happen if crossed onto lowii or a dark form of bongso, even a colorful form of ventricosa...the possibilities are wide ranging. Plus the selected clones pulled from tc would make great hanging basket plants perfect for patios and verandas for those of us residing in warm sub-tropical climates-thinking NE Australia coast, S.E. USA, Southern California.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something that maintains the 'funnel' shape peristome. N. talangensis , aristolochioides type thing. N. villosa sounds nice.. give me another 20yrs or so though lol. Maybe N. hamata even though it is toothy it is still a 'funnel' type because the teeth are inside the pitcher as opposed to flairing outside (N. veitchii, maxima etc)

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent, Tony,

I hear you both! I'm actually quite excited about it but have to buy a 14' step ladder to reach the flowers so I don't yet know which sex it is as they haven't yet started to open but I'm guessing a boy as it's the first N. ampullaria we have ever flowered. Incredibly, Diana came down from the highlands today and told me that there is a N. talangensis throwing out a spike! I said then that the combination of peristomes would make a very interesting cross. She then told me that N. aristolochiodes is doing the same! Now I read a posting from you Tony, suggesting crossing with exactly those. Let's hope they are compatible. We have male and female N. ventricosa in flower always, so that's another possibility.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think almost anything crossed with a amp tricolor would be acceptable, as opposed to...nothing.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Sounds like great potential there. Cross your fingers for the good fortune of having the highlanders flower the opposite sex from the amp tricolor.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed! Crossing fingers that you get at least one match up ;>

How about this one Rob N. mira x ampullaria Same sort of line.. One big rear tubby pitcher.

I can picture it!

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, maybe a really elongated Nepenthes and a really tubby Nepenthes = a stretched out, large hybrid. Stenophylla x ampullaria would be a prime candidate in that scenario.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, I think if you cross two Nepenthes with contrasting characteristics you would most probably end up with a fairly uninteresting result. The trick would be to try to cross species whose characteristics complement each other in some way.

I just managed to get a flower down from the N. ampullaria tricolor to dissect and as expected, it's a boy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] but I cheered up again remembering that the seed grown N. talangensis which is flowering is a girl [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast