What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome hibrid idea!

Hi Rob:

that'd be a fantastic hybrid! you can grow it almost anywhere except for the sahara desert and antarctica.

gus

Really Nep Master?!  I am surprised!  
smile_m_32.gif

Gus, it's taken ages to get N. ampullaria to flower in cultivation. Wild N. ampullaria hybrids are relatively common but I am wondering if there are many man-made crosses with this species? Will have to check.

Hi Rob:

How come?. is it difficult to make it flower?

Gus

Gus, it's taken years, darned plant is 6m high as are many other amps here.  It's one of 70 we have been trying to flower.  I tried grafting leaves on to this particular plant from a flowering N. mirabilis about a year ago to attempt to  stimulate it.  Nothing happened at the time but it's strange that a year later this one has produced 2 spikes and the others have done nothing.

Now my problem is reaching the flowers, step ladder isn't big enough!

Rob,
Is it male or female? If you make a hybrid, cross it onto your most spectacular highlander in flower. The villosa cross would be fantastic, but what would happen if crossed onto lowii or a dark form of bongso, even a colorful form of ventricosa...the possibilities are wide ranging. Plus the selected clones pulled from tc would make great hanging basket plants perfect for patios and verandas for those of us residing in warm sub-tropical climates-thinking NE Australia coast, S.E. USA, Southern California.

Trent

Something that maintains the 'funnel' shape peristome. N. talangensis , aristolochioides type thing. N. villosa sounds nice.. give me another 20yrs or so though lol. Maybe N. hamata even though it is toothy it is still a 'funnel' type because the teeth are inside the pitcher as opposed to flairing outside (N. veitchii, maxima etc)

Tony

Hi Trent, Tony,

I hear you both!  I'm actually quite excited about it but have to buy a 14' step ladder to reach the flowers so I don't yet know which sex it is as they haven't yet started to open but I'm guessing a boy as it's the first N. ampullaria we have ever flowered.  Incredibly, Diana came down from the highlands today and told me that there is a N. talangensis throwing out a spike!  I said then that the combination of peristomes would make a very interesting cross.  She then told me that N. aristolochiodes is doing the same! Now I read a posting from you Tony, suggesting crossing with exactly those.  Let's hope they are compatible.  We have male and female N. ventricosa in flower always, so that's another possibility.

I think almost anything crossed with a amp tricolor would be acceptable, as opposed to...nothing.

Cheers,

Joe

Rob,
Sounds like great potential there. Cross your fingers for the good fortune of having the highlanders flower the opposite sex from the amp tricolor.

Trent

Indeed!  Crossing fingers that you get at least one match up ;>

How about this one Rob??? N. mira x ampullaria  Same sort of line.. One big rear tubby pitcher.  

I can picture it!
NmiraAW2.jpg
Namp_BETricCR.jpg

Tony

Hmm, maybe a really elongated Nepenthes and a really tubby Nepenthes = a stretched out, large hybrid. Stenophylla x ampullaria would be a prime candidate in that scenario.

David, I think if you cross two Nepenthes with contrasting characteristics you would most probably end up with a fairly uninteresting result. The trick would be to try to cross species whose characteristics complement each other in some way.

I just managed to get a flower down from the N. ampullaria tricolor to dissect and as expected, it's a boy
smile_h_32.gif
but I cheered up again remembering that the seed grown N. talangensis which is flowering is a girl
smile.gif

Hi Tony,

You wanted N. mira x ampullaria. Here you go then....

morph.jpg

Might that tickle your fancy?

Leon

Rob,

I think that is a dandy hybrid, IMHO.
Leon, is that an actual examp0le, or a computer-enhanced prediction?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

It sure would be a nice hybrid if it were real!  I think you spotted the computer talent though.

It took Leon all of 15 minutes to morph Tony's two photos of N. mira and N. ampullaria tricolor (see last page of this thread).  Wish I could keep him that focussed on his work
smile_n_32.gif

You've made Leon's day when he comes in tomorow
smile.gif

Rob

HEHE

Nice work Leon. Hope you did that on your coffee break!

Tony

Rob and Leon,
The photo looks real to me. I just knew Leon was a whiz at that kind of stuff, and I had not heard of such a cross already exhisting(meaning nothing , of course), so I had to ask.
Good stuff.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe and Tony,

Yes it would be nice indeed. Amps are actually one of the species that really drew me in when I first started with Rob and the "Nep World". Then I saw N. bicalcarata, N. rajah, N. hamata, N. macrophylla (yow!)............

My fingers are itching to get to work to create another little gem. Maybe when I get a little time this week...Woohoo!!

Leon

Make me a Hamata x Lowii x Bicalcarata (in any order) so there is an hourglass shape, a big tubby bottom (and maybe a wide top too), spines on the peristome, fangs on the lid, and whatever you think would make it look good.

BTW: Is N. miranda a hybrid? You know one of those hybrids with a latin name? eg. trichocarpa, coccinea, mastersiana, etc. I ask this since i have never seen N. miranda anywhere but petflytrap.

Back