Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coloring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not at all clear on the naming of cultivars. Perhaps Trent could help us on that question? However, I would not be so quick to try and give it cultivar status just yet. I would be willing to bet, that if you put several more Judith Finn just as close to your light, they would all look very similar in color to the one you have there. Very nice color though. The next challenge would be to see how small you can make the leaves relative to the pitchers. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TJ.,
    It certainly seems a distinctive trait, but will regular tc'ed Judith Finn do the same thing if put under your lights? Also, on the otherhand, will your clone of Judith Finn retain the extreme color if grown in sunlight. Once you've established a cutting from the plant and others have grown it and its unique characteric is proven stable, it may indeed be registered as a cultivar. You would not call it Judith Finn, however, even if it is the cross of spathulata x veitchii. You could name it after someone or give it a fanciful name.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Trent.
    So who would you tell about this cultivar in order to make it official? Who keeps, and verifies "the list" of cultivars?

Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For carnivorous plant cultivars, registration is handled through the ICPS. A description must be published, along with illustrations (photos), and the IRA (International Registration Authority) form must be filled out. The ICPS handles all cp cultivars on behalf of the ICRA (International Cultivar Registration Authority), who handles all plant cultivars.
    Orchids are different, however.
    Robin, Nepenthes 'R.L. Hirst' is looking good!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color alone is generally a poor choice to consider a plant for cultivar status. Temperature, daylength, light levels can drastically alter the color.

A cultivar should also be from the description of a mature pitcher and plant. With Nepenthes I would also consider lower and upper pitchers if possible.

Robin the ICPS handles cultivar registration for cps.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Trent, and Tony.
    Trent, that cracks me up. Glad to hear it's doing well. Guess I should look into making it official. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Sorry for hoggin your thread TJ [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Interested to see what your hamata ends up looking like.

Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps cultivar was the wrong word.

i am not too sure because this plant has been definitely doing pressing forward to this for some time, the color of the leaves have been changing as it gets older, and the colors have been becoming darker, perhaps it's coincidence i added a new light fixture? i'm not too sure, a new pitcher has opened a few days ago and it's not colored yet so it's definitely not a "burning" result.

there are three plants in this pot doing all the same thing, from the same line of x 'judith finn' as well.

i'm just curious on a few things, not in reference to this plant persay.

in order to have the right to name a new variant in hybrid or a cultivar or anything of that sort do i need to be the one who had seeded it or processed it through tissue culture? or simply the one to describe it and name it first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno, i guess if somebody created a cultivar and have ALL the seeds to you and you describe the new cultivar, you could claim it as your own.

It would be neat to do that. Or to create it yourself.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast