What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ne. mirabilis var echinostoma

Hi Andreas,

Would you like to exchange N. miabilis var. echinostoma in vitro with that new species you have?  
smile_n_32.gif

Eh? What is this new species that you speak of? Any pics?

Andreas has photos of it on his web site under the section on Sumatra. It's called N. spec. nov. Sumatra.

I heard, Ne. spec nov. Sumatra will get its name untill the start of 2005 and Andreas is working for a description. The pitchers are awesome. I have only a tiny seedling with a diameter of 3cm
smile.gif
but it grows.
Why has Ne. mirabilis echinostoma no hairs on the Multi-cellular Fringe Elements? For what reason did it become a subspecies of Ne. mirabilis?

Hey Rob,
You said it grows in waterlogged creeks. How wet is too wet? Right now I keep my plant in about an inch of water. Would the plant grow better if I rose the water level higher? Lets say almost to the soil/moss level? Would this also help keep the humidity higher?

I hope Andreas is quick about getting his description published as I understand someone else is also working on the same thing.

N. mirabilis var. echinostoma also has the fringed leaf margins.  I guess in other respects such as flower structure it is probably very similar to the typical form.   Pitcher is so different though.

The sandy creek beds of Brunei is where I have seen most echinostomas and they are waterlogged, never dry out.  Could be that the huge root systems are to prevent the plants being washed away after heavy rains.  When I get a new slide scanner I'll scan some photos in.  The humidity there is huge.   I wouldn't recommend trying to duplicate the waterlogged conditions though.  The difference is that in the wild there is a large amount of rainfall that washes through.  Stagnant water is a diferent thing, as all sorts of nasties can breed in it.  Not saying it doesn't work, jut that there may be better ways.

I have seen someone growing mirabils forms in standing water(I think it was smilesii-is that a species now?). If you do the tray method, I think you would be okay if you let the tray get dry before refilling.

Cheers,

Joe

Back