What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ne. mirabilis var echinostoma

Hi there,

a new pitcher of my Ne. mirabilis var echinostoma has opened.

Ne_echinostoma.jpg

Ne_echinostoma.jpg

Ne_echinostoma2.jpg

Cheers,
Max

It looks... Weird if you ask me.
smile.gif

Interesting though.

I have to have one of those! That is too cool
biggrin.gif

hey looks like mine! mine has that strange kind of mushroom peri as well

I'd like to get a Mirabilis Echinostoma too. But, i already have a Macrophylla in the mail, and it will probably take a while before i get the hang of it. I do have the perfect Stovehouse for an echinostoma though...
Oh well, i have about 14 types of Nepenthes already, so i think i'll take a break with the buying for now. Besides, Lowii and Bongso and Denisflora are already higher on my list.

Cheers,
Dave

Ah cool pics! My echino grows on the windowsill... It's starting to stress a bit because of the colder weather....

Nice pics Max and very nice setting for the plant!  I think you are only a few pitchers away from seeing the really mature pitchers which have amazing upraised ribs on the peristome that give this variety it's name.  It's so different from other N. mirabilis.

Needs lots of humidity to grow well but seems you have got it right.  I think your plant is a seed grown individual and not from TC?

Oh that's killer! I'm drooling Max!
smile_n_32.gif

How old is your plant? Mine is about a year, maybe two, about a foot high with a few basal shoots and is only making normal red mirabilis pitchers with a just slightly wider than normal peristome, nothing with the awe-inspiring flare like yours! How much longer must I wait???

Do you have a picture Josh?  Something sounds odd about what you're describing.
Tony

Yeah even my little 4inch leaf plant shows a little signs of a over size peristome. Btw is it typical for an echin to have a crappy leaf to pitcher ratio?

Hi there,

first thanks for your answers.
smile.gif

Rob, that'll be great when the pitchers get the throns on the peristome!! The humidity is always about 70%, so my plant got used to this climate. Anyway I think the species is a very slow grower and gets hardly used to a new climate! I got the plant from Uwe Westphal and, you are right (how do you guess??), as a seed grown plant.

Josh, the plant is about 2-3 years old and a lot smaller than one foot in height! Perhaps you bought a plant, which was falsely identificated? That'd be bad
smile_h_32.gif
!

IceDragon you are right! The leaf is about 30cm big and the pitcher 12cm. The plant is certainly the opposite to Ne. hamata!
smile.gif

When will be Ne. mirabilis 'echinostoma' Ne. echinostoma again!

Cheers,
Max

As they grow up they look more like a corn stalk than a typical Nepenthes. They get large and the pitchers get large. Plus, they have huge root systems. Give them lots of room.
Also, from amongst Rob's seed raised plants there have been some nice almost solid red variants. The color variety reminds me of rafflesiana.

Trent

Oh yeah how cool of temps can these plants take? I'm thinking of moving mine into a temporary heated terr. It's about 60-75 now a days...

Oh that's just poopy, my N. mirabilis Echinostoma from Wistuba is surely not an Echinostoma at all then! The leaves are quite short about a 1/1 ratio) lemme see if I have a pic:

echinostoma1.jpg

The peristome hasn't gotten much wider than in the above older pic, the side get a nice flush but I keep waiting on the persitome and nothing ever happens.
smile_h_32.gif

I sure hope the N. neoguineensis I'm getting from them in the mail next week really is and isn't just a green ampullaria or something!

Hello

I have to say that dose not look like my N. mirabilis 'echinostoma'.

That looks similar to a N. mirabilis I got at PFT a few year ago.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Josh, Uh! Oh!  
smile_h_32.gif
  Doesn't look right to me.  Immature N. mirabilis var. echinostoma - let's just call it "echino" don't have the really wide peristome until they are mature but even so, that plant has the look of a standard N. mirabilis ro me I'm afraid.

Apart from the crazy pitcher, echino differs from standard N. mirabilis by the 4 longitudinal veins running the length of the leaf, 2 either side of the midrib.

Trent, I agree about the massive root systems, they get really huge and push up shipping costs unless they are trimmed back.  Guess that's why high humidity's a must, it obviously needs to suck up a lot of moisture and unless the roots are very large and wet, transpiration needs to be kept to a minimum.  It naturally occurs in completely waterlogged creek beds composed mainly of brilliant white silicon sand.  I can feel the humidity now just thinking about it.

You're lucky to have got a solid red one from seed.  I searched for ages to get seeds from a nice red female and fortunately we have a solid red one in tissue culture.  About 5% of the offspring were red with over 50% being hybrids with N. rafflesiana and N. gracilis.  Usual thing...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Nov. 08 2004,9:07)]Oh that's just poopy, my N. mirabilis Echinostoma from Wistuba is surely not an Echinostoma at all then! ...

I sure hope the N. neoguineensis I'm getting from them in the mail next week really is and isn't just a green ampullaria or something!

Dear Josh,

indeed you are right. Fact is that I bought in young plants of N. mirabilis echinostoma, N. rafflesiana, N. gracilis and a few hybrids which partly I do not have in vitro myself (exclusively lowland stuff) or for simple price reasons.
As the N. m. e. belongs to the very few plants I ever sold that I do not have in vitro I cannot even tell if others received wrong N. mirabilis echinostoma from me. The plants I sold are from two different sources.
I'm of cause very sorry for this incident and can only offer a refund of money paid for the wrong N. mirabilis echinostoma. I'm very unhappy about the situation myself and as a consequence do not buy any Nepenthes in for resale since the issue came up.

Concerning the N. neoguineensis, I think you know (when reviewing what you ordered from me in the past) that this is a very very rare occasion of a wrongly labelled plant having been sold by me in accident.
So please rest assured. More than 99% of the plants I sell are propagated and well verified by me.

Bye and sorry

Andreas

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I sure hope the N. neoguineensis I'm getting from them in the mail next week really is and isn't just a green ampullaria or something!

This is a case of I forgot to add this smiley face at the end:
smile_n_32.gif
I'm not that upset!
I would've imagined the mix up due to something else, thanks for the explanation though!

Back