What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes size

What is the smallest species of nepenthes?

I think, its Ne. argentii.

I believe the smallest nep is N.argentii.
Ironically it also happens to be the most expensive nep commercially available.
Robin

From what i've heard it's the N. Belli. I think...
Either that, or Argentii, Glabrata, eymae, dubia, inermis, and things like those.

Of the currently described species, N. argentii has the smallest pitchers.

eymae gets pretty good size.

Not the upper pitchers. They are like, less than three inches tall.

I think the post was in reference to plant size overall not just pitcher size
Tony

btw. N. eymae uppers are significantly larger than 3". I have personally measured upper pitchers on my clone B at around 6-7" from the bottom of the curve to the top of the peristome.

But size isn't everything
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Nov. 09 2004,10:00)]But size isn't everything
smile.gif
Oh boy.. your a trouble maker Rob.

I prefer to look at it this way.

The smaller it is the more that will fit!

T

smile_n_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

It's not the size of your trap, it's how you use it.

Joe

Oh, i didn't know that. Anyway, Peter D'Amato, in The Savage Garden, Page 266, words 27 thru 30 said " Barely three inches tall" while talking about the N.
Eymae. (That's true actually)

I don't have Peter's book unfortunately, was he perhaps talking about a particular plant in his collection and not the species in general?  Here's one of mine with Marcello Catalani.  Now either Marcello is an unusually small guy or that lower pitcher is a little larger than barely 3" tall LOL!
N_eymae.jpg

Not to insult, but that eymae lower looks like it has more to offer N. miranda than maxima does, as far as influence. I know they are closely related.
NM, you really look up to Peter, don't you, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

I have purchased most of my collection from him. The only stuff i didn't was a N. Ventrata, N. Fusca, a N. Macrophylla and some crazy *** lowland hybrid that i think is a Ventricosa x (lowland form) Alata. I have about 15 other plants, all from him. Plus, his nursury is cool, and he knows a lot more than i do.

Back to Eymae. He was talking about the upper pitchers when he said that. (that's true too). Though i don't know what clone or form he has. All i know is that they are wayyyy too expensive to buy at his nursury. They are about $60. By the way, if you are going to buy from him, go TO the nursury, he has some stuff there not for sale online. I bought a Macfarlanei from him there. And the Eymae is only for sale there too. Another was villosa. Sorry about getting off topic there.

Anyway, i'm just working off of what i've heard from a book.
biggrin.gif
I still have an Eymae to get for my self.

Dave

Or maybe Marcello is a very small person, hey i don't know.
biggrin.gif

Back