What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moron!

Sold some Nep seed on ebay and even though it says US buyers only some idiot bid anyway... Can't people read?
mad.gif

He claims he asked customs and they said it would be fine to send the seed but I rather doubt it is OK without me having export & cites paperwork and he having an import permit, right?

CITES wouldn't apply. The only thing he might need is an import permit, but even that's not needed in some countries like Japan for seed.

If he pays, then send it with a caveat he may not get it if it's impounded by customs at his end. It will probably get through OK.

Depends where he is. Some countries like Australia do not require any documentation for most seed.

Seed in Australia has to go through quarantine though...

Seed only needs to be clean (free of contamination and visible disease), labelled with a botanical name and be in clean, new packages to be cleared.

Last edited:
Well that must keep a lot of people out of trouble LOL

Dude, if you are Quarantine in AU then you can get away wi, .....oh never mind.
smile_n_32.gif

Swords, I saw your eBay listing, but I absolutely promised the wife no more eBay this year, lol.
All I know from my experience witht he USDA and a $2500 fine, is the person getting the illegals(if they are termed that) seems to get the brunt of anything, even if they had legal documents on their side.

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Sean,

I just sent my entire collection of wild collected seed to Robert Gibson for his studies. Keep a lookout for that if you would be so kind. It is all within the import restrictions.

I would be sending seeds to Canada if I were to do so.

Hi Sean:

I guess you should know a lot about what should come through and what shouldn't. However, you still have to declare the seeds whe coming into Australia, because if you don't, they still take the package away from you.
Courtesy of the dept. of Environment and Heritage (Australia).

BTW, rajah seeds and khasiana seeds do require a CITES certificate.

Gus

I don't know much about the import/export permits for these things. I'd help if i knew any more.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (agustinfranco @ Nov. 11 2004,12:37)]However, you still have to declare the seeds whe coming into Australia, because if you don't, they still take the package away from you.
Courtesy of the dept. of Environment and Heritage (Australia).
That's not quite true Gus. The seeds should be declared but if they are found without a declaration and are labelled with botanical names and meet the other requirements, they are released. We do not deal with the Dept. of Environment and Heritage in regards to seeds.

Sean.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 10 2004,6:35)]Hey Sean,

I just sent my entire collection of wild collected seed to Robert Gibson for his studies.   Keep a lookout for that if you would be so kind.  It is all within the import restrictions.
I'll keep a lookout William. I'll look after them and ensure a speedy delivery should I come across them.

Sean:

AQIS has nothing to do with Dept of Environment. Two different systems altogether, but both work in conjunction with Customs.

One thing is to bring seeds with potential germs and another is to collect seeds from protected species, so the dept of environment needs to make sure these seeds don't come from endangered species.

Gus

When I said we don't have anything to do with the Dept. of Environment and heritage I should have clarified that we do not deal with them directly.

Seeds of endangered or CITES listed species are referred to Customs. So it is actually Customs who act as an agent for the Dept. of Environment and Heritage. Quarantine does not deal directly with them.

The Dept. of Heritage and Environment only see the seeds if they are referred to them by Customs after Quarantine has performed an initial inspection and identified them as endangered or CITES listed species.

The fact that a package does not have a declaration does not mean that it will be confiscated. If the seeds are clean and labelled they are released, (unless they are a weed species or CITES listed) whether or not they had a declaration on the outside of the package.

Sean:

Please call 02-62741900 and ask for the dept that deals with seizures. They'll fill you in with all the details.

Gus

Why? I know the details. What details do you mean?

Back