What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep identification

Hi all:

This is a photo from a friend who happened to encounter this plant. Can anybody help in identifying it?. Thanks

macrovulgaris%20like.jpg

Gus

Gus,

It looks like a wild Nep. Where is it from?

AJ

Hi Aaron:

I guess he wanted the location to remain anonymous so he did not tell me.

Gus

Gus,

It's really hard to tell from upper pitchers, especially without a general location. Could be sanguinea given the shape (round lid, swelling of base) and inner mottling.

LOL Gus,

Even just a vague location (like country) would have helped I'm sure
smile_m_32.gif

AJ

Hi gus,

I think its a N. glandulifera?

Christian

I am going to go with Hamish and say possibly N. sanguinea.

Christian there are a couple upper N. gladulifera in the new book by Clarke and Lee. They retain the black glands and lots of white fuzz and don't have the hip.

Worth getting the book for the pictures alone!

Tony

Hi tony,

another wild guess. Maybe a N.sanguinea x N.glandulifera hybrid. hehe.
smile.gif

C

I will go with N. sanguinea as well.

Trent

I dunno, it looks kinda like a picture of N. Fiazaliana that they have on
www.plantswithattitude.com either that or i'd go with sanguinea. But i can't remember seeing a pic of Glaudulifera, so i dunno as much as you guys do.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Nov. 10 2004,8:08)]But i can't remember seeing a pic of Glaudulifera, so i dunno as much as you guys do.
smile_h_32.gif
Patience young Jedi.. Nothing to be sad about. There are plenty of people that know more than me as well. Rather than be sad that I don't know everything I prefer to be happy that there are others I can learn from.

Sometimes it takes a subtle eye to see the differences between one species and another. And when you only have one picture to work with which only includes upper pitchers, it makes it that much harder.

With much study and patience you too can become and armchair taxonomist!

Tony

From my armchair...

N. sanguinea or N. benstonei.

Back