Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. alata 'palawan isle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will look for it tonight, and post tomorrow. If memory serves correctly, it is probably the N. philippinensis Aaron linked to.

Aaron's plant does look juvenile, but if he doubts it's pure alata, then it could be this other species from Palawan, what ever it is (philippinensis)

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well kinda beats me lol.

If it helps any.. here is a young N. philippinensis from BExotics

Doesn't look quite the same to me.

There is also this thing from BExotics that was released as N. deaniana and I believe Rob now has listed as just N. aff philippinensis. It is from Mt. Pulgar, Palawan

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are more expert at this than me, but neither look quite the same to me.

Neither have that domed lid and the peristome on mine swings up much steeper at the back.

I'm about to email Phill to get his thoughts.

AJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't look like any Alata i've seen. Here, on the web, or in California Carnivores. But i think it still might be age related. I have a young verntricosa, and the pitchers on that look pretty similar to the ones off of a runner of my N. Alata. The newest pitcher has some adult characteristics, so i know it's not an Alata. Hope i helped.
    Dave [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I think it's a N. alata. The domed lid could be cultural or age. I don't think you will necessarily be able to verify that it is one local vs another though.

Just another I thought I might throw in for fun. BTW the previous 2 and this one are roughly 2" tall pitchers so a fair distance from mature.

N. alata Sibuyan lowland

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darned if I know guys!

We sold a species that was licensed to us in tissue culture as "N. deaniana" but have since discontinued it, (nice specimen there Tony). The Philippines is full of Nepenthes that people are calling N. alata just because it seems the easiest thing to do. I don't think a good taxonomist has really looked at this complex. The Luzon N. alata is very different from the Sibuyan N. alata which may even be a distinct species. The Palawan N. alata is more like the Luzon one but has a narrower peristome. I'm just as confused as anyone else frankly. N. philippinensis has me a bit bewildered too, again this is a species that was licensed to us in tissue culture but we then went and got seeds ourselves from the type locality. Looks very much like a N. alata with very narrrow peristome to me.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Aaron, If you get a reply from Phill, please let us know what he thinks.

The pitchers in most of the photos on this thread are still relatively juvenile which makes it harder.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings from the Philippines! I have to add that Palawan is a relatively long and stretched island with numerous mountains. To make it even more complicated, there are some larger islands in the north like Culion, Coron and Busuanga Island that are still considered "Palawan". I know of a very typical alata-form from Coron Island for example.
    The term "Palawan" form is not precise at all. I agree with Rob that here are numerous Nepenthes in the Philippines, which look quite different from each other and are still considered alata, just because of similarities in the flower and lid.

Volker
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Phil Mann's article "A Trip to the Philippines" in the March 1998 CPN. He shows both N. alata palawan and the "unknown species", suggesting that it may be philippinensis. It has a a wide peristome for an alata-type form. He also described them as getting large and the photo shows a few pitchers ranging from green (an upper) to a nearly solid purple lower. They looked like the photo Rob has on the Borneo Exotics site as sp.2 (Philippines).
    It could be the philippinensis pic you posted Tony, but it is still so young that the defining characteristics are not yet visible.
    Those sibuyan alatas are striking, and all of ours lack the tooth under the lid.

Trent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast