What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inermis?

Well? Is it, or isn't it?
inermis--.jpg

Looks a bit red?..
confused.gif

Not trying to place any blame here, just curious.

Thanks,
Robin

The 2 on the left the same plant as the 2 on the right?

I'd guess it's Inermis, either that, or it's a Dubia. If those are lower pitchers then they could be inermis or dubia. i think, i'm not too familiar with lowers from dubia. If they are uppers, then it's definitely dubia. Again if they are lowers, they could definitely be Inermis, and they might be dubia.

When in doubt, get it a paternity test.
biggrin.gif

Well guessing you upped your light levels? Lower pitchers can show some coloring in the brownish red. Doesn't look like the hybrid with N. bongso though which has a dark purple coloring, a broader peristome and purple flushing on the pitcher.

Tony

'NepenthesMaster', there is one distinct morphological feature which tells you it's definitely not dubia.

I have a very *green* Nepenthes inermis from Andreas Wistuba that has very faint hints of red on some of the larger lowers. The pitcher morphology fits all the published descriptions fine - just a tad more color than one might expect. It gets lots of full highland morning sunshine, and that will generally get the anthocyanins displayed to full effect ;>) I do seem to remember that Clarke mentions in his Sumatran monograph that some N. inermis pitchers show red in nature. Whatever it is, my plant definitely does not look like some of the richer-colored putative hybrids with N. bongso that have recently been posted here and, IMO, neither does yours.

Be interesting to hear comments from the Nep-wallahs.

Cheerio,

SJ

Thanks Tony,
Yeah I did up the light levels inadvertantly. I figured you guys would know right away from the shape alone.
Hmm, Now I'm curious how dark it could get to go...
Thanks again guys,
smile.gif

Robin

Thanks stone jaguar,... had to do a quick search on "anthocyanins" . "Intense light and low temperatures favor the development of anthocyanin pigments. ".....Hmmmm wonder if that applies to neps too? I bet it does. Very cool! Im interested to see how they turn out... Do you have a pic?

Hamish, I'm curious... which feature is it?
Thanks,
Robin

The lack of a peristome is a distinct feature in inermis upper pitchers, but even the first few upper pitchers of inermis have a bit of peristome before it finally disappears. For intermediate pitchers which are shown in the photos, the lid is the one feature which is a clincher.

Now that i see it again, i would say it's definitely an Inermis.

BTW: Sydney, what is the distinct feature that says it's not a Dubia?

NepenthesMaster it's:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Nov. 11 2004,4:07)]An extremely reflexed lid...

Hi,

I am in no way questioning the ID of the plant in the discussion, but looking at photos on the net I'm not sure the extremly reflexed lid is a characteristic for lower pitchers on N. dubia.

Regards,

Christer

Hi,

the position of the lid of the lower pitchers of N. dubia Andreas shows on his page are not that much different from N. inermis:

http://www.heliamphora.de/01b0219....05.html

Although I don't know if this pitcher was fully developed when the picture was taken.

Cheers Joachim

No, but the pictures displayed included an intermediate inermis pitcher, and intermediate dubia pitchers do have a reflexed lid.

Back