What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another inermis in need of confermation

Hello. On July 1st, I recieved a N. inermis from a nep nursery in Canada. Since then, it has produced a pitcher. Looking at the pitcher, I am kinda thinking its one of the hybrids from malaysiana. Can anyone conferm this?

It has a red tinted lid, striped peristome, red tinted wings, red spots in the pitcher, and a red band under the peristome. Here are some pics:

N.inermis.jpg

Side view, you can see the spots (which are on the insides of the pitcher) and the red tinted lid.

N.inermis2.jpg

The other side. You can see the red spur, red band under ther peristome and redness on the wings (these are more pronounced in real life).

N.inermis3.jpg

A shot into the mouth. You can see the red stripes on the peristome and spots in the insides of the pitcher.

N.inermis4.jpg

A front view.

N.inermis5.jpg

Back of the pitcher. You can see the lid shape.

Inermisleaf.jpg

Here, you can see the tendril attachment to the leaf.

N.inermisplant.jpg

The whole plant.

Thanks for your help. Zongyi
smile.gif

Zongyi,

That mild striping on the peristome is identical to the ones I have from Malesiana, which, based on current information, is a single clone of inermis x bongso. It is likely that, as they mature, the pitchers will gradually become more purple.

Hamish

Much better pictures Zongyi. Have you talked to the place you got it from yet? I agree after viewing these it is not pure N. inermis.

Tony

The peristome gives it away its not a pure species. Typical inermis have a peristome like this (on lowers)
inermis.JPG
A slight bronzy tint to reddish tint is normal, but the striped peristome on yours in not inermis linked.

Peristome isn't right, i'ts not an inermis. If it's a hybrid, then i'd say that it has Inermis heritage though.

Sorry, Zongyi, I also think everyone is right.  Funny though, the N. inermis x bongso we have is deep dark purple all over, nothng like your plant.  I'm wondering about the parentage of what you have there.  1/2 inermis to be sure but father may perhaps have been a drifter from out of town!

It looks like that the Inermis mother was very promiscuous
smile_m_32.gif

Gus

Hello. Too bad, I was thinking I was actually getting some skill out of this
biggrin.gif
. The pitcher has more red on it now. Even tho I don't know exactly where the nursery got it, I bet its from Malaysiana because its where most of his plants come from (not saying anything bad about both the nurseries).

Perhaps I do not have enough light, and it hasn't become as red as it could. Also, I need to look up what promiscuous and polygamus means
laugh.gif
. Zongyi

Aha!  I've managed to dig out an old photo of this hybrid taken in our nursery about 18 months ago.  It's not as colorful as most but you can see how deep the color is in peristome, I don't think lack of c0lor in your plant is entirely due to low light levels.  Anyway, here's the photo:
inermis_x_bongso.jpg

Could just be pitcher age? N. bongso for me opens fairly light colored and darkens as it ages. I haven't taken a closer look at my MT 'N. inermis' or your N. inermis x bongso hybrids Rob to see if they do the open light color and turn purple later maneuver. Maybe tomorrow I can go have a look.

T

At first I wondered why you hat to wait until tomorrow to take a look Tony, then I realised it's night time for you. It's 9 in the morning here. Isn't the world a small place these days! LOL!

Indeed hehe. It's still Nov 14th here.. for another hour.

What's interesting is I wouldn't have suspected the MT plants after just a cursory inspection when I unpacked my shipment. Many were just plain green with just a hint of color at most. So they didn't look that odd. According to Ch'ien they are all a single clone of the hybrid. Perhaps it just doesn't develop as much color as your clone Rob or requires brighter light or something to bring it out.
Tony

Tony, from the Malesiana clones I got last year, one of them that I gave to a friend, with much better facilities than me, started to throw out much darker pitchers, with the most recent being a deep purple. All of mine are still green, although the most recent pitchers have striped peristomes like Zhongyi's. Given we're moving into summer here, I suspect that the latest batch will be a more purple colour. I'll keep you updated.

Hamish

True Tony, the green coloration would explain why it has taken quite some time for people to realise it's a hybrid. N. inermis usually has yellow pitchers though, even when young but most people naturally would not know that.

BTW, Rob - do you have a picture of an upper pitcher of this hybrid? Hamish

Hamish,
I would expect mine to do the same too once they settle in and start making some decent growth. I probably would have caught it but glad the issue came up before I offered any to customers!

Tony

Hamish,

I haven't been to the highland nursery for many weeks but will check the plants when I am next up there. Haven't seen an upper pitcher yet but there may be some by now, plants were getting rather large last time I looked. Will be interesting to see the uppers indeed!

I guess it wasn't a total loss looking at some of the pics that are posted here. At least its not some plant I already have, and the mature specimens are not horribly ugly. I hope the nursery can at least give me a partial refund, or another nep
biggrin.gif
. Can I ask if this hybrid has been introduced to cultivation a long time ago or just recently in that shippment of inermis? Thanks. Zongyi

I'd keep it but ask for a little reinmbursement perhaps if possible.

Back