What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size of pots

Cindy

Staff member
I was repotting my N.truncata into a larger pot and started to wonder...

1. What would be the largest pot I need to keep N.truncata or N.bicalcarata (these two being potentially large plants) in for the next 2-3 years?

2. Are there any lowland species that have lots of roots and require a larger pot?

3. How deep should the pots be?  A wider pot is advised for N.ampullaria because of its tendency to produce basal shoots. So should all nep pots be wider than deeper or the other way around?

4. What the drawback for keeping a nep in a small pot and is a larger pot better for root health?

Thanks.  
smile.gif

Well, I have my N. truncata planted in an enormous pot......I think the pot diameter is something like 40cm and it is around that deep as well. It was easily planted in the pot when I first got it (around a 32cm plant) now its easily exceeded the big pot making 32 plus cm tall pitchers and the planted, having flowered is around 90 some cm in diameter. I have a smaller N. truncata, a little bit younger than the original one I got some years ago and I planted it in a pot that fit its root mass. It has since then, increased 2 times in size from roughly 7cm in diameter to 16cm in diameter. So pot size may be a factor, but then again I have my N. bicalcarata (90cm in diameter just about as big as the truncata) in a pot about half its diameter, and people say they need to be in tremendous pot sizes, i wouldn't call mind tremendous but rather large. Then again, you can look at my other species, such as N. x rokko that is in a 5cm diameter pot and has a 6ft long flowering stem.

Truncata doesn't have as large a root system as bicalcarata, and is known for growig well in pots that are relatively small for the plant's size. The thing you need to think of with truncata is more having a pot big enough that the plant won't overbalance it.

Bical is a different matter, it is a much, much larger species with a big root system. Bical also hates having its roots disturbed, so the rule that bigger is better for this species is true, as you don't want to have to repot it too often. Bical can die from the shock of being repotted. Plus, if you've ever tried to repot a 3 metre high bical, you know that it's not something you want to do if you want to be able to walk for the next couple of weeks...

Thanks for the info, guys. I will have to transplant my N.bical to a larger pot soon.
smile.gif

Hamish, probably sould think of repotting mine soon. May have to have 1 person hold the plant and me get it into its new pot! lol

Noone has really touched on 3 and 4.. so here goes.

3 - Personally I like deeper than wider pots. Deeper pots drain better and I can squeeze more plants in because the same pot volume takes up less horizontal area.

4 - Smaller pots require much more attention to watering as they don't have as much area and potting mix to hold water. So while it is possible to have a 3' N. bicalcarata in a 4" pot. The plant may need watering several times a day to keep it happy.. miss one watering and booom it drops dead from dessication. On the flip side too large a pot may cause other problems with waterlogged potting mix and stagnated air/water in the roots. So there is a happy medium in my opinion.

Tony

For real Sydney. Repotting a giant nepenthes like a mature truncata is no fun at all. Makes me remember I haveto repot mine.... I'm so tired.
biggrin.gif

I like to keep my Neps in a pot about the same size (or a bit larger) than the plant is around, but i have found that they can be in a pot that many people would think is much too small. With a Bicalcarata of say 6 feet in diameter, i'd go with a 4 foot diameter pot at the smallest.

Oops, still forgot to answer a question there. I'd go with a pot that is around the same diameter as it is tall, i can't find many of those, so i get one that is taller than it is around. Though it isn't by much.

I dont think that size ratio would work at all with the rapid climbers. A 6 foot plus pot wouldn't be too practical
biggrin.gif
!

I'm saying what i would use, and i said 4 foot. Besides, i'm going to use that when my Bical gets that large. Well, okay, yeah it is probably too big, maybe 3 feet, that's about what Peter D'Amato uses for his really huge Bical in the nursury.

Well, actually, now that i think about it, a pot that is wider than it is tall might be better, like a large wooden box about a foot or two high, and three feet around is what Peter uses.

I still like deeper than wider pots ;>

Guess I should repot my N. tobaica.. multiple 8' vines in a 4" pot! The thing must be getting it's water needs via sprinklers filling the pitchers.

T

ERK! Time to repot my bical...It's only about 6" at this point, but if I want it to grow much larger, it should not stay in it's measly 4" pot much longer!

what others would like a large pot like bical's? amps? are hybrids with bical the same way?

Rattler

I think most plants(if asked) would like a bigger pot, lol, but it's not practical always, especially those uf us using tanks to grow their plants in.
Tony, can we get a pic of the multi-8' vines coming out of a 4" pot?

Cheers,

Joe

Our large bical, 'Big Mama" got moved up to a 25 gallon pot in early summer. She's about two meters now, and into upper traps. When I pulled her out of her puny ten gallon pot, it was a solid root mass, molded to its contours.
NepMaster is right about merrilliana-they need large deep pots, and will die if rootbound.
Generally, we've found Nepenthes to do best if overpotted. Given the room, they will take it-and reward you with copious pitchers. After the hurricanes, we moved a bunch of amps and hookerianas up to six inch pots from the standard 3 inch square, and they have leaped up in size in one growth.
Hamish, for our larger truncatas we have gone to clay pots because the extra weight keeps them from tipping over. One huge pitcher half full of water hanging over one side will turn over a plastic pot.
Rattler, we have bical x northiana seedlings that seem to be following the lowlander pattern-huge root systems. Rafflesiana also has a huge root system, and will do better if given an oversized pot. We never have rot problems, and the bicalcaratas are all grown in pure lfs. Try potting a 25 gallon pot with pure sphagnum!
Anyway, a few observations to share.

Trent

alright ill keep that in mind with my lil bical x amp. thanks for the info.

Rattler

Back