Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium vs. windowsill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my say- I think that what Amateur_Expert is saying is pretty much right. I believe just give the plants the optimum conditions that doensn't have to match their wild growing conditions, but what They want for optinum growth. What did the other guy say gives plants the best growth?
    I believe that for Nepenthes Windsill growing will be Ok for a small fraction of plants, but they will grow much better in a terrainium. Even if you can't see the results they will lack something, even if its very little.
    But, Saying that Wild plants aren't healthy is wrong too. Maybe they don't look as healthy on the outside, they are probably alot healthier then any cultivated plant. Maybe the Guy only saw a unhealthy plant that was outside the growing range, thus not having optinum conditions.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you grow them on the windowsill just think how much lower the electric bill will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (IceDragon @ Nov. 13 2004,3:46)]Well, if you grow them on the windowsill just think how much lower the electric bill will be.
    One of the main reasons I wanted a terrarium was so I can have the plants in my own room where there isnít enough light.

Of course I was going to fill my windowsill spot up anyway even if the conditions aren't perfect... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/phyrex/phyrex.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrarium vs. windowsill--There are still too many environmental variables to conclusively state that one method is better than another. I do think that cultivated plants can (not necessarily do) grow better than wild plants. Mainly because competion from other plants is removed. But as for windowsil vs. terrarium, that depends on where you live and what you have to do to get your home environment to match their typical environement from the wild.

Phyrex, a terrarium isn't necessary to have lights. A support system for the lights can be built from pvc or other material to support the light fixtures.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until recently (colder conditions) most of my Neps have been outside. They are all indoors, now. I have no terrarium set up at all. Everybody is is clamoring around counter space and window sunlight. It may not be the best set up, but new leaves are being produced and no one is dying. I also have easier plants - ventricosa, ventrata, gracilis...

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (peter @ Nov. 13 2004,3:20)]Here is my say- I think that what Amateur_Expert is saying is pretty much right. I believe just give the plants the optimum conditions that doensn't have to match their wild growing conditions, but what They want for optinum growth. What did the other guy say gives plants the best growth?
    I believe that for Nepenthes Windsill growing will be Ok for a small fraction of plants, but they will grow much better in a terrainium. Even if you can't see the results they will lack something, even if its very little.
    But, Saying that Wild plants aren't healthy is wrong too. Maybe they don't look as healthy on the outside, they are probably alot healthier then any cultivated plant. Maybe the Guy only saw a unhealthy plant that was outside the growing range, thus not having optinum conditions.
    No, the Nepenthes were N.rajah, and it was on Mt.Kinabalu.A group of expert growers went to hunt for them to see them in the wild.
    They saw well over 10 rajahs, EVERY one had just 1 pitcher working.

Well terrarium conditions are no natural conditions at all.
    Who says nature isnt harsh?
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, this is NOT a disscussion about Nepenthes alone, it is concerning ALL Carnivorous plants in general.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Dino understands. In nature, plants are subject to other things that affect its healt, not only climate. Plants naturally will do better in their native climates. We are focusing on climate. There is no competition in a terrarium like their is in the environment, so if you give the plants the climate they have lived in for generations and exclude the other factors that would dimish its health, the plant does much better. A terrarium is the best place to do that.
    Quote[/b] ]I believe that for Nepenthes Windsill growing will be Ok for a small fraction of plants, but they will grow much better in a terrainium. Even if you can't see the results they will lack something, even if its very little.
    Funny, thats the same thing i said..
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast