Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium vs. windowsill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Nov. 15 2004,4:50)]I have a Heliamphora which is thriving on my windowsill, and yet, everyone says I cant grow it on a windowsill. How some its thriving and looks as good, if not better then a terrarium grown one? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    For the sake of debate..I am quoting Dino but this really could apply to just about everyone

If I recall when you got the plants people suggested you use a terrarium because for most people their windowsill conditions are not suitable for tender plants such as Heliamphora. Does this mean you can't grow it on a windowsill? No, because everyones windowsill is different. It's nearly impossible for me to know exactly what your conditions are within your windowsills. There are simply too many factors involved that I have no knowledge of. A terrarium however has certain atributes which remove alot of the unknowns. Such as increased humidity and moisture and more stable temperature. The reason to suggest a terrarium is because conditions from grower to grower are MORE SIMILAR in a terrarium.

As for your other comment that it looks as good if not better than a terrarium grown one.

How do you know? Maybe if you had an optimum terrarium your plant would look even better than it does now.

The bottom line is how the plants look to you. Are they healthy, growing normally, growing well, and increasing in size and color over time. Do they look comparable to the same type of plants from other excellent growers? Do you attempt to tweak the environment to improve upon the plant and make careful observations for the results? All we have to go on when growing a new plant for the first time is knowledge of how the plant grows in nature and what other people with practical experience have found in cultivation. It's up to us to then use this as a starting point for our own personal attempt at cultivation.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dino, like Tony said, how would you know your plants grow better on a windowsill instead of a terrarium?
    This topic is about which environment is better not which environment is “good enough for you”.
    Of course this differs a lot from person to person but in general a terrarium has a more stable environment because you can control every little thing.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/phyrex/phyrex.gif[/img]

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Phyrex @ Nov. 15 2004,8:09)]Dino, like Tony said, how would you know your plants grow better on a windowsill instead of a terrarium?
    This topic is about which environment is better not which environment is “good enough for you”.
    Of course this differs a lot from person to person but in general a terrarium has a more stable environment because you can control every little thing.
    Because I have seen terrarium grown Helis.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dino you seem to have completely missed the point. Who's terrarium grown plants were you comparing to? It is very easy to grow lousy plants in a terrarium. It is even easier to grow them lousy on a windowsill because a windowsill you can't control the environment as well. That said it is EASIER to grow excellent plants in a terrarium because you CAN have easier and more control over the environment.

I think Matthias would have something to say about windowsill vs terrarium grown Heliamphora. He has a special terrarium just for this genus and they are the best examples of Heliamphora I have ever seen. I have never seen one grown on a windowsill even come close to the color and impecable health.
    Here is a picture of several plants in his special terrarium:

If you would like to visit his website Matthias

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 15 2004,10:13)]... and they are the best examples of Heliamphora I have ever seen.
    Word!
    He’s the Heliam master. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

By the way, about terrariums, it also matters a lot what size it is. I mean a small terrarium is a lot less stable than a large one.
    And a windowsill with a radiator underneath it for example will have very low humidity making it less suitable for Neps in general. But my windowsill is in a room where this heating is off...
    There are just too many factors to compare the two but like Tony said, in general the terrarium is way more versatile.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/phyrex/phyrex.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, If I can recall Starman, you were growing one of the hybrid heli's which is not the hardest to grow. If you were growing a harder one, I'm sure it'll be harder to grow on a windsill.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear my name in context with growing Heliamphora.
    Maybe it's possible to grow some easier hybrids of Heliamphora on a windowsill but I have never tried it.
    If you want a plant which does not only survive but also get the typical features and colours you need
    to place it under high light levels in a humid but still cool environment. I doubt that these conditions are
    possible on a windowsill.
    It took me some time to find the right place and the equipment to get the best way for growing these
    plants indoors which unfortunately is also not the cheapest way.

Here is a recent shot of my Heliamphora folliculata from the Murosipan Tepui...

Cheers,
    Matthias

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (peter @ Nov. 15 2004,3:20)]Also, If I can recall Starman, you were growing one of the hybrid heli's which is not the hardest to grow. If you were growing a harder one, I'm sure it'll be harder to grow on a windsill.
    .....................so?
    A Helaimphora is a Heliapmphora, peole were saying I might as well put it int he trash whent hey heard it was geting placed on the window.
    Look at my growlist on CPUK.
    ALL of the plants I have are window grown.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast