User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 33 to 40 of 41

Thread: Terrarium vs. windowsill

  1. #33

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Nov. 15 2004,4:53)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (peter @ Nov. 15 2004,3:20)]Also, If I can recall Starman, you were growing one of the hybrid heli's which is not the hardest to grow. If you were growing a harder one, I'm sure it'll be harder to grow on a windsill.
    .....................so?
    A Helaimphora is a Heliapmphora,
    Ugh, that's like saying a N. ventrata is like a N. villosa. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_r_32.gif[/img]

    It's very nice you can grow them on a windowsill Starman, but in general, for most people this isn't the case...

    Oh and Matthias, one of these days I'm gonna start collecting Heliams just because of your wonderful pictures. But I don't know if I must blame or thank you then. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/phyrex/phyrex.gif[/img]

  2. #34
    Tony Paroubek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Far Away NY
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your very stubborn Dino...

    Didn't you also kill one? If I recall people were not saying you might as well put it in the trash. What they were saying is that odds are it will do better in a terrarium. Why did they say that?? Perhaps because noone but you knows exactly what your windowsill is like while it is much easier to know what the conditions are inside a terrarium regardless of who has it. A proper terrarium will have less temperature fluctuation, less humidity fluctuation, a higher relative humidity. Conditions that favor better growth. Perhaps they were saying it because they have tried Heliamphora on a windowsill and failed or were unhappy with the results even if the plant didn't outright die. You have seen Matthias's plants that were grown in a terrarium designed for Heliamphora. You say they do better on a windowsill because you have seen terrarium plants that didn't look as good as yours. Well? How does yours compare to one properly grown in a terrarium? Post some pics! Lets have a look.

    Tony

    Ps the discussion wasn't about whether it was possible to grow them or not.. but which would give the best results. Plants will grow even under adverse conditions but can you claim that they are growing to their maximum health then? No...surviving maybe.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

  3. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Caps on the lighting part. My(his...hehehe I still can't adopt it completely)is still producing leaves but the pitcher growth has screeched to a halt. I wonder if those little tendrils will just fall off or if they seriously think they can wait it out till next spring...or until I try some growlights.
    1 Nxventrata

    D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

    Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

    S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

    Drosera capensis

  4. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,
    Loved the pics of Matthias' Helios. They look great. However, I grow all of my Heliamphora outdoors yearround. They're doing awesome but don't look as nice as Matthias'. That's because the weather, pests and other things take their toll. Nature does that. I think the main point I get from all this discussion depends on the growers' location, space, time and passion they want to put into their collection. I've had Neps like truncata grow great as windowsill plants but got over 3 ft tall and I couldn't house them in a terrarium anymore. Others like bical did great in a terrarium but struggle as a windowsill specimen but still look good to me even though I know they will never be as robust as terrarium bicals. My outdoor Neps never look like greenhouse Neps because wind, winter, sunlight etc. interfere with "optimum artificial" conditions. But if you live in an apartment and the best you can do is a terrarium and put your money into your environment, then your plants should do well. So really to me it's a matter of the time and conviction the grower has devoted to their plants that makes the big difference. If you have the devotion to your hobby or obsession (that's my problem) then terrariums, windowsills, or whatever will make your plants do well for you and you will appreciate them even more for all your hard work!

    Joel

  5. #37

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome responses, really helpful. Awesome heli's Matthias makes me kinda jelous [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    What i originally wanted to see was people's thoughts on terrariums vs windowsills. The argument was that a terrarium (greenhouse or other type of grow chamber) was a better more flexible environment since it let you duplicate the plants natural climate. Dino argued that a windowsill is just as good as a terrarium. Dino understand i mean climate. Just so my words don't get twisted i specifically mean: temperature, humidity, and the fact that its aquatic or terrestrial. Plants have been around alot longer than we have and they are completely evolved to be suited to their environment, and they thrive in that environment. A plant doing good in different temperatures is the plants way of surviving. The plant still needs to try to produce some color, pitchers, dew, nectar (whatever) and still needs to maintain those things in order to survive. Sure it might be growing, and sure it will look good, but it does better in its natural conditons and it has for millions of generations and terrariums let you copy those conditions the best we can.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

  6. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    California, LosGatos
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true Tony (the first entry on page 2), everyone's windowsill is different. My friend Andrew (whom i mentioned earlier) has also grown a N. Rajah on his windowsill for about a year. He put a humidifier in his room and everything. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Then there's me, i'm growing a N. Macrophylla on my windowsill right now. (I just got it, but i haven't seen any negative effect though, so i think it'll be all right.) But of course i mist all my plants about 7-8 times per day, and i have multiple cups of waterlogged sphagnum for humidity. The heater isn't working either. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

  7. #39

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to be reviving a topic, but natural conditions arnt always the best.
    The following information is NOT from me, but from an orchid grower much more experienced then I:

    For example, one should be very careful about watering Ophrys, because even a drop of water in the tubor can lead to rot, while in nature is 100% sure that through Autumn a rain is going to occur. Sounds weird and it is. So orchids in our houses dont react as being in nature.

    And what about Drosophyllums?
    It is a well known fact they grow in places with little humidity and rather dry conditions.
    And yet, there are people growing Drosophyllums in high humidity in terrariums.
    And they look just as good as ones outside of terrariums.

    Now, whose to say that plants outside of terrariums(or 'natural conditions') cant adapt and look just as good as ones in 'natural conditions'?

    That means the ones in the terrariums ADAPTED and grow JUST AS WELL. As the ones outside of terrariums.

    And, there is a lady in the U.S.A who is growing slipper orchids in just water.
    And guess what?
    They grow BETTER then they would in 'natural conditions'
    They grow more vigorously, and flowered sooner then the ones she keeps in 'natural conditions'.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

  8. #40
    Nepenthes Specialist nepenthes gracilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Alexandria Bay, NY Z-5a
    Posts
    6,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Dec. 28 2004,8:33)]Sorry to be reviving a topic, but natural conditions arnt always the best.
    The following information is NOT from me, but from an orchid grower much more experienced then I:

    For example, one should be very careful about watering Ophrys, because even a drop of water in the tubor can lead to rot, while in nature is 100% sure that through Autumn a rain is going to occur. Sounds weird and it is. So orchids in our houses dont react as being in nature.

    And what about Drosophyllums?
    It is a well known fact they grow in places with little humidity and rather dry conditions.
    And yet, there are people growing Drosophyllums in high humidity in terrariums.
    And they look just as good as ones outside of terrariums.

    Now, whose to say that plants outside of terrariums(or 'natural conditions') cant adapt and look just as good as ones in 'natural conditions'?

    That means the ones in the terrariums ADAPTED and grow JUST AS WELL. As the ones outside of terrariums.

    And, there is a lady in the U.S.A who is growing slipper orchids in just water.
    And guess what?
    They grow BETTER then they would in 'natural conditions'
    They grow more vigorously, and flowered sooner then the ones she keeps in 'natural conditions'.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Sorry to be reviving a topic, but natural conditions arnt always the best.
    Then why are the plants growing there?


    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And what about Drosophyllums?
    It is a well known fact they grow in places with little humidity and rather dry conditions.
    I was under the impression they get alot of fog naturally.


    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Now, whose to say that plants outside of terrariums(or 'natural conditions') cant adapt and look just as good as ones in 'natural conditions'?
    You are insisting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That means the ones in the terrariums ADAPTED and grow JUST AS WELL. As the ones outside of terrariums.
    They WON'T, if you put a highly sensitive plant on a windowsill, it will die, even if it was adapted, the trick here in growing a plant is to try to MIMIC its natural habitat, not throw it on some foreign growing area.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And, there is a lady in the U.S.A who is growing slipper orchids in just water.
    And guess what?
    They grow BETTER then they would in 'natural conditions'
    They grow more vigorously, and flowered sooner then the ones she keeps in 'natural conditions'
    Perhaps they are, some plants can grow better without limiting factors they get in the wild.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •