What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New images

Have been a bit busy lately, but thought I would post a few
new images. All of these were taken within the last five hours.

Here is a speckled variety of N. campanulata which I obtained last
summer.

campanulata.jpg

I find this variety of N. veitchii to be rather lovely; it is covered
with a nice, velvety indumentum.

veitchii.jpg

A species not often seen, this is N. faizaliana.

faizaliana.jpg

One of the recently discovered species, N. glandulifera is
somewhat villose, and features large, clearly visible nectar
glands.

glandulifera.jpg

Recently, a member of this forum requested that I post an
image of one of my specimens of N. macrophylla. So, here
is an image of the latest pitcher; it's about 14 cm tall.

macrophylla.jpg

Finally, here is a recent image of one of my N. jacquelineas:

jacquelinea.jpg

YAY more pictures!

Nice Pics Jeff
smile.gif

I like the color on your N. glandulifera. Much more intense than mine.

The N. faizaliana looks like the N. fusca sarawak that was released by a couple suppliers as former species. It has the narrow triangular lid characteristic of N. fusca. N. faizaliana should have a much more orbicular lid. Very colorful but not the correct plant
smile_h_32.gif

I just took a recent picture of one of mine.
N. faizaliana - Malesiana clone
NfaizalianaMT2.jpg

Tony

Awesome Macrophylla photo!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Aaaah! Its a conspiracy I tell you!

makes you want to learn how to pick locks and tip-toe while holding pots of plants.
smile_m_32.gif

Very Nice pics Jeff! The macrophylla is of course stunning. Looks new and shiny! Looks much larger than 4 1/2 ". Its my new desktop.
Great color on all of your plants. That glandulifera is a beast.  Swarthy, and drooling! heh!

Interesting campanulata... I wonder if it is a hybrid? It has wings!? hmmmm.
Great pics. Very Nice Sir!
Thanks for sharing,
smile_m_32.gif

Robin

By the way Neps, your image sizes are insane.
They are over 200 kb while they could be only 50 kb without any quality loss.
confused.gif

I wonder about N. campanulata as well. A fair number of plants in my collection have varying amounts of red inside/outside the pitcher. Some look just like the green ones while others it's hard to say for sure. Ch'ien would be the one to ask I am thinking.
Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nice Pics Jeff
smile.gif

I like the color on your N. glandulifera. Much more intense than mine.

The N. faizaliana looks like the N. fusca sarawak that was released by a couple suppliers as former species. It has the narrow triangular lid characteristic of N. fusca. N. faizaliana should have a much more orbicular lid. Very colorful but not the correct plant

Thanks, Tony

Actually, the plant shown is one I obtained from a friend
in Florida about 8 years ago. He had it labelled as N. faizaliana,
and it does look a lot like two other plants I have
from other sources which are also labelled as faizaliana.
However, I do agree with you in that it does not look like
what Clarke calls N. faizaliana. Moreover, I'm not convinced
that what I have is a variety of fusca. It just doesn't look
much like fusca to me.

In any case, I'm not a taxonomist, and I'm not going to argue.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Awesome Macrophylla photo!

Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very Nice pics Jeff! The macrophylla is of course stunning. Looks new and shiny! Looks much larger than 4 1/2 ". Its my new desktop.
Great color on all of your plants. That glandulifera is a beast. Swarthy, and drooling! heh!

Interesting campanulata... I wonder if it is a hybrid? It has wings!? hmmmm.
Great pics. Very Nice Sir!

Thanks! I don't think that the campanulata is a hybrid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way Neps, your image sizes are insane.

Well, I do crop and resize my images to a reasonable size
for the forum. I don't optimize further simply because I
have a broadband connection, and like most folks nowadays,
a 200 k file does not take long to download. Therefore, I
really don't think the size of my images is too bad. In fact,
you're the first person ever to mention this issue to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I wonder about N. campanulata as well. A fair number of plants in my collection have varying amounts of red inside/outside the pitcher. Some look just like the green ones while others it's hard to say for sure. Ch'ien would be the one to ask I am thinking.

The campanulata shown is orginally from Ch'ien, I am told,
so if it were a hybrid, I believe he would have indicated it.

That N. campanulata looks true to me Jeff.  You've got fantastic coloration of that N. jac too
smile.gif

Ch'ien believes that the plant you have is actually more typical of the N. fusca herbarium material that he has seen than is the N. fusca that we all know from the Tambunan Road Sabah.  It grows exclusively as an epiphyte and is widespread in Sarawak.  I've seen it in the crowns of huge trees in Brunei too.

Ther N. faizaliana shown by Tony is apparently the true species.  What actually happened is that large plants of the "Sarawak N. fusca" were flowered in a US botanic garden and seeds and cultures were widely distributed labeled as N. faizaliana.  Just a quick look at the description of N. faizaliana shows that the lid is completely wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That N. campanulata looks true to me Jeff. You've got fantastic coloration of that N. jac too

Thanks, Rob. Nice to hear from you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ch'ien believes that the plant you have is actually more typical of the N. fusca herbarium material that he has seen than is the N. fusca that we all know from the Tambunan Road Sabah. It grows exclusively as an epiphyte and is widespread in Sarawak. I've seen it in the crowns of huge trees in Brunei too.

Ther N. faizaliana shown by Tony is apparently the true species. What actually happened is that large plants of the "Sarawak N. fusca" were flowered in a US botanic garden and seeds and cultures were widely distributed labeled as N. faizaliana. Just a quick look at the description of N. faizaliana shows that the lid is completely wrong.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. It's good to get some idea
of how these things happen, and it's been so long since I've
read the description for faizaliana that I simply forgot to check
back and verify the identity of this species in my collection.
I do appreciate you and Tony pointing this out, believe me!

I know I'm living in a fantasy world, but wouldn't it be nice if some demented but brilliant taxonomist sat down with the entire Genus and redid everything from scratch! Bloody Danser has a lot to answer for in my not so humble opinion. Then again, given the state of species in places like Thailand, The Philippines and Australia, it's more work than one person could do in a lifetime.

Well, it wasn't just Danser, a lot of other taxonomists of that era put their oar in too.  Jebb and Cheek did a revision, first skeletal, published in Blumea Vol. 42, 1997 and then a more complete work published in Flora Malesiana Volume 15, 2001.  It's what I usually go by, although some people don't agree with everything in it and it's already out of date now as so many discoveries have been made since 2001.

Some early botanist did a description of N. burkei that referred to the size of the lid and said it was in all other respects like N. ventricosa.  I have that paper but the author has been referred to by a leading modern-day Nepenthes taxonomist in strings of 4 letter expletives that Tony would throw me off the forum for repeating  
smile_m_32.gif
  True N. burkei is very different from N. ventricosa.

IMO the best taxonomists around are mostly "non professional" in that although they are professionally trained, they don't rely on publishing papers to hold down a position.  They generally cut the, er, um, how shall I say it - superfluous stuff and don't nit pick much.

Hamish, if one were to start from scratch, go around and collect new herbarium material, it would indeed be a work of a lifetime and a very short one at that. It's a toss up whether he or she would die from a bullet or decapitation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ Nov. 15 2004,12:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way Neps, your image sizes are insane.

Well, I do crop and resize my images to a reasonable size
for the forum.  I don't optimize further simply because I
have a broadband connection, and like most folks nowadays,
a 200 k file does not take long to download.  Therefore, I
really don't think the size of my images is too bad.  In fact,
you're the first person ever to mention this issue to me.
Well I have broadband also and they loaded in a few secs because your host is very fast so I don't have a problem with it but it really isn’t fair for the modem users amongst us.
It’s just a win win situation if you reduce them in size. Absolutely no quality loss and a few hundred % smaller.
(If you have Adobe Photoshop, you can select “Save for Web” (Under “Save as...”) and choose JPG High)

Anywho, may I ask where you bought your plants?
smile.gif

File sizes are fine I think. I have dialup accelatered connection, loaded within 30 seconds. BTW, wonderful plants as always Jeff!!!!

Go ahead Rob! Lets see how many the word filter catch LOL.

I really don't think the current state of Nepenthes taxonomy is that bad. Just imagine how it was when natural hybrids were considered species. Or even worse when the same plant was listed as 2 species because of dimorphic lower and upper pitchers.

My copper bits on photo file sizes. I have a reasonably good dialup. It took about 7 minutes to open the pictures. Theoretically they could be about 1/4 the file size without impacting the viewable quality over the internet. It would reduce down load time for folks stuck in the sticks. 1/4 of a few seconds doesn't seem like much but 1/4 of 7-8min is very noticeable. I also had to reload a couple times because only a few would download and the rest would come up with red x squares as they timed out taking too long to download them all in one try.

Perhaps it is nitpicking a bit. At least they aren't 1meg+ each LOL. Besides I would rather you keep posting pics.. I can just go get a snack while waiting
cool.gif

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 15 2004,7:20)]Besides I would rather you keep posting pics..
Ah c'mon I wasn't criticizing, I was just giving him some advice.

My mistake on your campanulata.
smile.gif
 Thats really cool! Thanks Rob.
smile.gif

Back