Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamata and lowii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that grows as high as a clearly defined ultrahighlander, i consider an ultrahighlander. I think Muluensis and Murudensis are classified as ultrahighlanders in that case, but i'm not sure of that yet. But that definitely means that Lowii is an ultrahighlander. Wait a minute, doesn't Maxima grow up to 2700m in some areas?
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an addon to my previous statement, since Rajah grows down to 1800 m, that should not be the only basis for consideration as an ultrahighlander. If the TOP alutidual range is about the same as a classified ultrahighlander, then i think it should be considered an ultrahighlander.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on whether you define an ultrahighlander as a plant found exclusively above a certain altitude, or requiring certain temperature requirements. I would agree with Jeff that 2000/2,200m+ is a more significant differentiator, as lowii and rajah grow well in plain highland conditions, whereas villosa and lamii for example, will not. The lower altitudinal range of a species is defininately more indicate of cultural requirements than the upper with highland species.

As for hamata, I wouldn't even put it in the same group, it grows happily as an intermediate.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy, I am new at the forums and i wanted to learn how to grow N. hamata and Lowii.

One thing i don't understand: what is a ultrahighlander?

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no definition. In scientific circles they refer to "montane" species, ultrahighland is an often bandied about term used by Nepenthes growers.

Basically it refers to a very small group of Nepenthes from very high altitudes that require cool days and cold nights to survive.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically,
    Lowland: Hot
    Intermediate: very warm
    Highland: warm
    Ultrahighland: cool
    Note that these are rough estimates of the groups, and several Nepenthes grow happily in other types of conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, i have been doing reasearch.
    Hamata: 60s at night, 70s-80s during the day. Very high humidity.
    Lowii: 70s-80s at night, 50s-60s during the day. High humidity is much appreciated, but can tolerate a bit less.

As you can see, i don't rely completely on these forums, though they have helped me out a great deal.

Welcome to the Forums HappyVFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone,

A note on hamata. I grew this sucker successfully on my deck railing over the summer...Days up into the 90' (sometimes, but not too often, usually just high 80's), and night temps between 55 and 70 (depending on the night...most commonly in the low 60's). The humidity ranged from VERY HUMID durring the night, 40's or so durring mid day. My observation about this was that hamata is more forgiving that I expected.

Or maybe I just have a really sturdy one, who knows?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast