Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamata and lowii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking of getting both a Hamata and a Lowii. I know basically what they need temperature wise, but what should i do about humidity? I can keep the humidity fairly high by misting about 6-7 times per day, and i keep some cups around my other Neps that are filled with waterlogged LFS. Will this humidity be high enough? It works well for all my other Neps.

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the other Neps that are growing and pitchering in the setup you are describing? There is a huge difference in temperment between maxima, alata, ventricosa, Ventrata and hamata. The reason N. hamata, lowii, macrophylla and those other grail species are dfficult is because you need to provide them quality CONSISTENT conditions in order to grow, flower and thrive. Many other species are easier to bend to a lazy humans will and still perform quite adequately.
    For my highland chamber I have everything automated with lighting timers, humidistats, fans, air conditioner when my local nights are above 55*F and days above 80*F. Providing such a setup will ensure you are able to provide what these finikier species need. It's a luxury for some of the easier species I grow but I doubt 100% that I would be able to grow the species I am without a proper setup.
    Here is the stats on my highland chamber year round figures (winter-summer):
    Lighting: 400W power compacts & flourescents

Day Temps: 65-80*F

Night Temps: 40 - 55*F

Humidity: 80+%
    The humidistat runs the humidifier about 1/2 an hour every hour but only intermittently, 5 minutes here, 7 there... to maintain a steady high RH. Much of the time the chamber is filled with ultrasonic fog from the humidifier.

Air flow: the chamber always has fresh air blowing in through the humidifier duct either from outside the house (nighttime) or in the room (daytime/winter) so the plants always have access to fresh gently moving air.

Theres a bit more info at my site: http://www.nepenthesgarden.com/cultbasics.htm

My advice is get your dedicated highland nepenthes chamber setup and then get plants, they'll always be available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nepenthes i currently have growing on my windowsill are: Ventrata, Alata, Ventricosa, Burgidgeae, Sanguinea, Macfarlanei, Ephippiata, and a Macrophylla. The macrophylla is very new, but i haven't experienced any negative effects, and everyone i asked said it was easy to grow and very forgiving. My temps go drop down to 60- at night, and i just got a hygrometer which says that the humidity never goes below 65%.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW.

I am going to get another greenhouse very soon for highland Nepenthes. This will be a warmhouse with temps in the 75-85 range in the day and 50s at night. And i have this puny little humidifier for my stovehouse right now, but it seems that i need TWO per greenhouse. Which i will be sure to buy.

I will buy the greenhouse sometime this week, so i guess i am asking if they can survive in those conditions until then. I'm gonna go to C.A. carnivores tomorrow and get one of each if i think they can survive until i get the greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all;

Although Lowii is an ultrahighland, in my experience, it is also very forgiving when it comes to temperature drops at night. I find it very much easier to grow than many other ultra highlanders.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I would classify N. lowii as an ultrahighland
    species, for the lower end of its observed altitudinal distribution
    is 1800 m. Typically, species with altitudinal distributions
    exclusively above 2000 m (or even 2200 m, perhaps) are
    considered ultrahighland.

Moreover, based upon many years experience growing this
    species, I must say that it is really quite easy. If one can
    provide daytime temperatures between 25 and 30 C, and
    nighttime lows between 10 and 15 C, one should be able to
    cultivate this species quite successfully. It is simply a rather
    slow grower when small; hence the common epithet "N.
    slowii
    ".

I think that you will also find N. hamata to be similarly
    straightforward, although it may be a bit more sensitive regard-
    ing humidity. However, if your humidity is insufficient it will be
    readily apparent, for you will see limited pitchering, if any. both
    plants will still grow however, and in that case, you can then
    implement measures to increase your humidity.

In any event, good growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Neps. Guess what, i went to OSH today since my mom was getting who knows what, and i was a greenhouse that was 6' by 8' for 119 dollars. It was such a good deal that i bought it. Then i somehow pursueded my mom to buy me a heater and a humidifier for it. I think i'm all set. I'm just going to let it run for a few days until i get the hang of keeping everything right. Better to do it when the lives of my Neps are not at stake. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Though it is still good that they could survive on my windowsill if something goes wrong with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps:

Lowii grows between 1800-2600 mt, hence an ultrahighland

Gus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast