What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling colour change

I have a few very small N. ampullaria and N. mirabilis seedlings.

They have just passed the cotyledon stage and have thrown or started to throw their first true little leaf and pitcher (<2mm).

However, they have slowly become quite pale over the last few days.

The cotyledons emerged with that nice rich green colour so it's a bit of a surprise to see this colour change.

Is it a sign of them not having enough (or too much) light? Or possibly something else?

Aaron.

These photos don't show the difference as dramatic as it is in person.

The first is some N.ventricosa seedlings, You can see they are a nice rich green colour. The second is of one of the N. mirabils seedlings. It looks somewhat paler in real life.

VentSeedling.jpg

MirabilisSeedling.jpg

These photos were taken seconds apart, no change in settings and under the same light.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron:

It's part of the normal development of the seedling, they turn pale green or yellowish sometimes, but they are fine.......
It's when they turn brown then you should really worry about.

Gus

Thanks Gus,

It had me worried but I was hoping my concern was over nothing.

So I assume at some point the plant will swing back to a darker green colour as it matures.

AJ

Also light levels can affect the colour of your plants. what light levels are you subjecting your seedlings to?

Gus

Gus,

Under 2x 38W (4ft) 4000K fluoros (14 hours per day):

NepProp.jpg

Aaron.

it should be fine Aaron!

Good luck with them

Gus

Hi Aaron,

have you tried to fertilize them? A very weak foliar feeding might help. I don't think the biggest seedling looks to well.

Cheers Joachim

Aaron,

Don't be alarmed. They do turn pale green. Infact my same seedlings are showing the same signs. Also my other ampullarias are pale green under four flourescent tubes.

I noticed you were using two NEC triphosphor fluoros. You could possibly get one cool white and one warm white fluoro to replace those and balance the red and blue colors of the spectrum or get two powerglo fluoros if you are worried about the color.

I think they are still too small for a weak foliar feed. After all they do grow in nutrient deficient soil.

Christian

Back