What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Male or female n. campanulata - number of flowers?

Hi,

I've noticed there are several growers here that have this species and also that the issue of flowering has come up before. I have a specimen that is about to flower for the first time. I am pondering if there a way to determine the sex when they still are in bud. I have been searching the web and managed to find a couple photos of both male and female inflorescenses. From looking at them I've noticed that the males had markedly more flowers per inflorescence, but this could of course be coincidences. I've also read an article by C. Frazier in Clarke's Sumatra nep book and in which he writes that the male plants (gracilis, ampullaria and rafflesiana) have 1,7-2 times more flowers than the females.

My question now is; what are other peoples experience regarding number of flowers on male and female N. campanulata? I was thinking that maybe the number of developing buds might be a indicator to help determine the sexes of this species early on.

Regards,

Christer

Can't say I have seen too much difference. What appears to make a bigger difference is the health and size of the plant. Perhaps when you have two equally large and healthy plants you might be see something. But it would be very hard to judge from web photos whether it was a small plant just reaching flowering size or a much larger specimen with a consequently larger inflorescence and flower count. Sometimes you can also take a guess based on the shape of the bud. Female buds sometimes are a little more elongated, but this isn't always the case. I usually pop one off and take a peek under the scope
smile_m_32.gif

Tony

Hi,

and thanks for the reply. Before posting the question I had been thinking that the plants' health must be an issue, but somehow I managed to forget about the size issue.
smile.gif
I'm sure this must be of importance too, especially as this species seems eager to flower when still quite small.

I guess I just have to wait then, as I am reluctant remove any buds (it only has four of them).

Thanks again,

Christer

Back