Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Villosa/rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to either get a villosa, or a Rajah, i just want to know, which one is easier?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rajah all the way.. i know someone who's growing rajah on his windowsill... can't say the same about a villosa!
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, i do know one person who grew rajah on a windowsill for while, he turned off the heat, put a humidifier in his room, put MOUNDS of waterlogged sphagnum around it, and misted it about 7-10 times per day. I'm assuming it would do well in less extreme measures? I have a greenhouse, it gets to the mid 80s in the daytime,and 50s at night. The humidity bases around 40-50% and tops off at 75+ at night. Would rajah be able to survive in these conditions? Villosa too?
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your humidity is slightly on the low side. a rajah would survive in there not too sure about a villosa.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it pitcher too?

Besides, Peter D'amato from California Carnivores keeps telling me that hyprometers are grossly innacurate, and he tells me that his greenhouse gets to the 40% range during the day and above 70% at night. Come to think of it i didn't see any adult Rajahs or Villosas, well he did have a rajah about a foot high, but it wasn't an adult yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to grow all those impressive highlanders (rajah, villosa, macrophylla, hamata, etc) you will need to either live in a climate where their conditions are aproximately met: proper temperatures, high humidity and good light. I think member "Neps Around the House" lives in Northern California and can do this with his local temps, but he is an exception and is very lucky! Otherwise you will need to create the climate (as I discussed in your hamata thread) or they will not do well for you. Wishful thinking does not make up for improper conditions, many forum members have come and gone since I've been here who were "sure" they could make all the big name highlanders grow in "close enough" conditions only to have the plants become sickly.

Setup your conditions and then get the plants![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are already set up, i have some easy to intermediate highlanders in there, (along with macrophylla, which is pretty hardy, or so i've heard) so i'm hoping that i can grow a rajah there, i'm going to C.A. carnivores on saturday, so i'll ask Peter himself and see if it will work. I'm pretty sure Hamata will do well, and i'll also get a Lowii, since i think those are hardier than Rajah.

Besides, i can always (you guessed it) put in mounds of waterlogged sphagnum, and spray the whole place up once or twice per day. The temperatures are correct already. Oh, i just remembered, i have another humidifier tucked away in my attic, it it turns out i need it, i can dig it out. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, lowii and hamata are not harder than rajah. I'd put lowii and rajah in much the same basket. This reputation rajah has for being more difficult than other species arose in the 70s and 80s when it was new to cultivation and little was known about its preferences, and this image has hung around. As for hamata, its range is from intermediate to highland, and it is very easy to grow as long as it doesn't get too warm at night.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast