Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very annoyed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen to what Gracilis (Dustin) described. It's almost identical to how we grow our bicals. We grow bicalcarata in straight Wisconsin sphagnum moss in large pots. They have huge root systems, and the plant will grow stunted if you don't give it the root space. We have repotted our bicals from a six inch pot up to ten gallons and have the next growth double in size.
    Dustin's temps and humidity are perfect. Our plants are even subjected to lows down to 55 F overnight and don't mind, as long as the day comes back up into the eighties. They grow very fast during the long days of summer, but do slow down in winter.

Trent

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious also what water your using and if you feed your plants at all. Perhaps it is simply in need of some nutrients?

While N. bicalcarata does indeed have a very large root system. I disagree with most that say plants get stunted in small pots. Very few Nepenthes I have seen experiences this. The key is to make sure it has plenty of water and nutrients. The problem is that small pots can cause water stress because they dry out too quickly. This in turn is what stunts the plant in my opinion. Will take a picture of a plant or two later today.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, how about the nine foot of vine of tobaica out of a 4" pot?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Joe, I chopped it up the other day. It was vining and intertwining throughout the bench. Was getting hard to remove other plants. Maybe.. MAYBE I can untwist the N. alata or bongso that are 5 or 6' by now that are also in 4" pots. They are not quite as badly wound up with the rest of the plants on the bench.

Here is the N. bicalcarata in the 4" pot. Dumb me forgot to measure the diameter as I was in a rush this morning. I would estimate around 36"
    Will have to forgive the quality. No fancy setup for the shot lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a nice plant Tony, it seems to me that the pitchers are relatively small considering it's size, at least when i compare it to my N. ventrata, or my N. maxima, or my N. hamata (brand new). At least the pitcher on the far left.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's possible NepMaster. It is in my lowland chamber which gets a bit less light than the rest of the greenhouse. It is also turned slightly so the pitcher on the left is further away. Some Nepenthes just don't have as high a pitcher/leaf ratio either. I would consider N. bicalcarata one of them.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 29 2004,9:21)]... It is in my lowland chamber which gets a bit less light than the rest of the greenhouse...
    Hi Tony,

what is the N. rajah doing in there? - Did you try to compare the rate of growth with the ones in your higland setup?

Interested Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joachim,

OOps sorry I didn't explain well. I removed it to take a picture. It's normally jammed inside one corner of the grow chamber and would be hard to get a picture. Hopefully the N. bicalcarata won't be too upset with the five minutes of chilling.

Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast