Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with coco peat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: "They are potted in our usual mix of 50/50 cocopeat and chopped husk."

That is from the thread on the pics from rob's highland nursery, so I am wrong: he does use coco peat(with choped husk).

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have coco mulch in my terrarium.. small pieces size.. it is the backing of the terrarium..

LOTS of fungus within hours of setup.
    i thought i had cleaned the stuff, but guess i didnt do it well enough.

took awhile to kill the fungus..
    thats my only experience with the stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this "coco peat" and "coco husk" stuff reminds me more of a kids' cereal than a growing medium. Lottsa fibre - hmmm, hmmm, good!

Thanks, guys.

Jay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOH good point Patch!!! We are talking about coconut husk products. Not to be confused with coco byproducts from the chocolate industry, which they do make mulch out of and is what I believe you had a bad experience with. Coconut husk is very resilient to rot and decay. The cocopeat from it is not really all that decomposed like sphagnum peat. Although I would guess just about any organic material has the potential to grow mold in enclosed terrariums if conditions are correct.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use cocopeat, the fine kind. I sometimes refer to is as fiber in error as that is what we used to use for a while. We mix it 50/50 with chopped husk and use it for just about everything except for a few species that like to be kept wet, such as N. ampullaria.

I'm not saying that cocopeat is the best thing to use, it's just that it's very cheap here compared with anything else which has to be imported. Trials carrried out here in the early days showed that it's as good as most things except LFS which is superior for a few species (such as N. argentii).

One point is that before accepting a delivery of cocopeat we measure the E.C. to check the salt content isn't too high. Sometimes it can be through the roof, especially the husk chips if they have been harvested from a coastal region. The salt can be easily washed out though.

Hope that helps guys.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Rob, when you travel to Europe and AU and the US, do you stuff your suitcases with LFS for the return trip, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I was such a jet-setter Joe, I've not been to AU and only to the US once! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I brought back a little LFS once and we try to grow it here so we can use it for experiments. Basically, although some things will grow better in LFS, they still grow OK in cocopeat/chopped husk, just more slowly, so we still use the cocoproducts for everything in production.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob:

If you do manage to come down under, you'll be kindly welcome, especially if your suitcases are filled with Neps.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Gus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast