What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes colour

Hi , my name is justin and i'm new to this site. I started to grow carnivorous plants about a year ago and I have four plants. A sundew, a nepenthes, a sensitivity plant, and also a venus fly trap. I grow all of them in the same terrarium and i had a few questions. I bought my first nepenthes about 3 months ago and it's already grown 5-6 new pitchers. The only problem is that i can't seem to get them to colour nicely. They only have a little red around the perisome and the upper part of the pitcher. If someone could giveme a few tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:removed the vft question and made it a thread in the appropriate forum

More light...and time should give it more color if the plant has the genetics. What type is it(species hybrid?)

Most carnivorous plants are more colorful in brighter light. Or maybe you just have a plain old green nepenthes!
smile.gif
Hope that helps!
smile_n_32.gif

Alex

a'm not sure what type it is, I got it from a company called Coastal Carnivors. I tried to look on their web site but they only called it a pitcher plant. I'll try and post a pic of it once i can figure out how to use my camera.
smile_n_32.gif

If i put a more powerful light in my terrarium, will it have a negative effect on my other plants, or will it be just as good, if not beter for them?(sundew and sensitivity plant)

FIrst of all. A sensitivity plant is not carnivorous. Second, it may be that there is insufficient light, but some nepenthes (i.e. pilosa) are just plain boring. If you could post up a picture, then i (or someone else) could identify it and therefore determine which of those variables it is.
Welcome to the forums Justin
Dave

BTW could you please give me the URL? It would help me to find/identify it.

o, and i know a sensitivity plant is not carnivorous, its just fun:D

Pilosa boring? Well I suppose some of you kids might find elegance boring...

Lol.I could see that comeing...

in context,

boring = dull.

A better word would have been colorless!

this is the company's exact site...
http://www.gublers.com/tropical_pitcher.htm

Although the picture dose not look anyhting like the one I bought, its perisome is larger and also more rich in colour.

P.S. to SydneyNeps: I'm only 17, and thankfully i don't have kids.
smile_n_32.gif

Actually now that i look at that photo, it isn't even the same type. Mine has thoughs two weird looking things going from the top of the perisome to the bottom of the pitcher. What are those things called anyways?

Don't bother looking at that site i gave you, sorry, my bad.

I try and post a pic of it latter.

The things going down the front of the pitcher from the peristome to the base are referred to as "wings" by Nepenthophiles. Their function is dominantly thought to guide organisms (invertebrates) toward the mouth of the pitcher, in the hopes that they jump into the pool of digestive fluids for a swim!
laugh.gif

Hmmmmm... 5-6 new pitchers in 3 months... It all starts there I think...

As for increasing colour, go with compact fluorescents!

Good luck, and more importantly, have fun!

Amori

I've taken a bunch of pictures of it, but I have no clue on how to post them in this discussion. Anyone with any experience with this please help me.

I clicked on the link you gave me but i can't find any info on how to post pictures.
smile_h_32.gif

Click on the bottom where it says to make new user account:)

Back