Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colourless pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case..... I am not making any kind of statement to disprove or question anyone and each to their own opinions.

However, just thought I might start a thread showing how there are some quite impressive Neps that have little or no colouring other than green.

Now, I'll admit when you walk into the greenhouse these 3 do not jump out at you as fast as many. They are neither large or colorful. However, once your eye trains on them there is certainly some subtle beauty.

The Albo is one of my favorites! It was mentioned in the thread about N. 'Rokko' how it is a very fast grower and known to grow up to 7ft per annum. I know it's a very generalised way to determine a plant's rate of growth but this green Albo has vined to over 5ft in 10 months.

This Hirsuta is great. Took a while to settle in but is now steaming ahead nicely.

What can I say?... It's a Vent!

Actually I hate picking favorites. I love them all. Even the lowly Vent [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colorless does not make it less spectacular. Beauty is only as one perceives it to be.

Great pics. Got any more?

C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white ventricosas are something!

I prefer them over the red clones, in fact. The way I see it, it's also a matter of matching the right colours to the right pitcher shape.

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like the inermis, which is all green, and the campanulta, which has very little color (unless in BRIGHT light...well, mine anyway).

Those are great pics! I like the albo best of the three, I think...though I can't get mine to pitcher! It's finally growing, at least, but won't pitcher. Killin' me! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (MadAboutCPs @ Dec. 07 2004,1:42)]Color does not make it less spectacular. Beauty is only as one perceives it to be.
    I assumed you meant “Only green colors does not...” by the way.
    But the above statements are a contradiction.
    Of course everyone has different opinions therefore you can’t generalize that first statement.

Personally I do think pitchers with a lot of colors are more beautiful pitchers than others. However this doesn’t mean I think green pitchers are ugly!
    I love that Albo shot. (Although good photography helps the photo/plant a lot...) But a Northiana with an extremely flared colorful peristome wins anyday of the week versus an all green one.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/phyrex/phyrex.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like inermis......very good pics!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty,

Quote[/b] ]I like the Albo best of the three, I think...though I can't get mine to pitcher!
    Is your green Albo actually growing though? My one was reluctant to pitcher at first yet the plant grew very rapidly. In fact the vine was well over 3ft by the time the lower leaves even started to threaten to pitcher. Even now I find those leaves that are trying to pitcher are well back from the growing tip.

Mine is also starting to produce tendrils that want to curl/grab on to things. I have noticed that where they have been able too, they pitcher much faster than if left hanging in the air.

Phyrex,

I think you read a bit too much into Christian’s post suggesting there was contradictions and generalisations. I’m sure he was simply confirming what I had said.

As I alluded to in my first post I was not trying to question anyone’s preferences. Each to their own. I love the more extroverted types of pitchers (eg. Previous similar posts I have made with some of Geoff Mansell’s hybrids) but see a very subtle beauty in these that I think sometimes is overlooked.

Quote[/b] ](Although good photography helps the photo/plant a lot...)
    Absolutely! There is no hiding I did my utmost to bring out the features on these pitchers. As I mentioned, the pitchers do not jump out at you when you walk into the glasshouse. Isolating them in a picture with a darker background, removing background distractions, framing, etc, all help to bring out their features. Hence why I tend to only 'supe-up' pictures in instances like this. Take the same shot with a lighter/busier background, no framing, less contrast, etc, etc and they’d look quite bland. As any pitcher would.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron:

That's a very interesting way of seeing things. In my case, every time i walk to a nepenthes greenhouse, all i see is pitchers. these don't jump out on me, i jump on them though.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Gus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast