What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, after six weeks of home-remodelling exile, I'm back in the dusty house. My plant-sitter was, well, she tries hard. But she just can't get enough water on the plants, and some dry out. Admittedly, it's hard to get enough water from my little R/O tank to water everything. Sadly, I lost one nep and a relatively common drosera, but no big deal. I had some new pitchers open that I thought I'd post.

First up, I got some cuttings of N. burkei x villosa a while back. I gave one to spec, then my brothers dog ate my cutting. Spec was nice enough to trade back the other one for another nep. Not seeing the parent, I didn't know what it looked like, but it turned out pretty cool. It actually has some of the villosa ribs on the peristome, and an interesting pitcher shape. I'm assuming this is an upper or an intermediate based on how the cutting has grown. Here are a couple of pics:

N_burkei_x_villosa_1.sized.jpg

N_burkei_x_villosa_peristome.sized.jpg

And here's a nice new pitcher on my N. ovata. These get almost black as they age, but this one just opened:
N_ovata_2.sized.jpg

Here's an interesting story. Here's a photo of the damage my plantsitter did to my N. hamata, which is recovering nicely now:

N_hamata_damage.sized.jpg

But wait, whats that? Upon closer inspection, there's something going on in that moss. What the heck??? It's little N. hamatas! Several of them! Huh? They look too small and far from the plant to be basal shoots, but I guess that's what's going on. Very odd, as there are several little clusters. Here's one group:
N_hamata_little_freaks.sized.jpg

If I get several N. hamatas out of this, I'm going to be extremely happy.

Ahhh, it's good to be home!!!

Capslock

Thanks!

I forgot one: the lates N. x Predator pitcher!
N_x_Predator2.sized.jpg

Capslock

Very nice Caps! Good to see you back. Really nice predator.

The hamata shoots would be basals. You plant probably started off in the middle of the pot, and the bit to the side is all that is showing now, particularly if the moss is growing. Basals can come from the root ball as I've found from several species, in particular my previous dead rowanae which has thrown up a shoot from the middle of the root ball.

Hamish

That ovata looks very good Caps.
How high is that predator by the way?

Very Nice N. x Predator, Capslock!!!

in particular my previous dead rowanae which has thrown up a shoot from the middle of the root ball.

Ouch. I lost mine to an unfortunate accident, and I now wonder if I gave up too quickly to defeat.

Well, Max, I would have to look closer to be absolutely sure, but I am pretty sure your Predator is outgrowing mine(though I did give you the larger one )
smile_m_32.gif

Anyway it looks really good.

Cheers,

Joe

The plants are looking quite good to me Max!

N. burkei x villosa? Had not been aware that existed, or any other man made N. villosa hybrids. Any other information on it's origins? Really looks alot like intermediate N. ventricosa x lowii to me.
BTW I think just about every N. burkei cross out there is in actuality a N. ventricosa cross.
Tony

Tony,
I have the same suspicions as you, and figured at best I'd have a difficult to grow ventricosa.

I've not seen the intermediates on ventricosa x lowii so I cannot comment on that. I got the cutting from an unknown donor at the BACPS meeting about 9 months ago. There are usually a few hard-to-find cuttings there, so that it's unusual is not, well, unusual. Nevertheless, I agree with your assessment, but cannot explain why it would be mislabeled. Oh well, I guess as it matures we'll get a better idea of what it is.

Capslock

Griffin, if your rowanae was a small plant, then it would be less likely to reshoot from the base, so probably no need to regret your decision. If it was a large plant like mine with a very large root ball, that would be a different matter.

Hamish

I'm drooling over that Predator. I forget what the parentage is, it's truncata and hamata right? I forget...

Oh, man! I hope my hamata does that (basal shoots, I mean)! It's growing like gangbusters under my new fluorex light fixtures....I'll have to go over the moss with a fine toothed comb when I get home....

Sweet (suspicious) burkeii x villosa! I love the coloring.

Hi
Some fantastic looking plants there the first one is a real gem.

Bye for now julian

That N. burkei x villosa(or ventricosa x lowii) is very beutiful! I love the coloration:) Wow that N. x predator is realy getting big! I can`t believe how big it`s gotten since the last time you shared pics of it:)

Btw. sorry about you`r nep(and dew) loss:( What plant did you lose?

I only lost a N. x Manny Hererra (which I've already replaced from leilani hapu in Hawaii) and a drosera hybrid (D. capillaris x rotundifolia? Something like that). So, no big deal. That nep is just N. khasiana x mirabilis and not expensive so the financial hit wasn't bad at all, but it still sucks to lose any plant!

Capslock

Yes it does suck to lose plants:( (even if it`s a houseplant type thing)...I`m glad you didn`t lose a rare plant:)

very nice! youre a lucky guy but i can't complain, my hamata is sending up a wierd looking leaf, that mioght just be a flower!!!! (but im not holding my breath)

Back