What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii in bloom!

Wow 6 years thats pretty fast to reach that stage of development,so its not as slow as some people make out then?
Bye for now Julian

I've got a somewhat offtopic question but I didn't feel like creating a sepperate topic for it.

This has plagued me for quite some time now:

How do you pronounce lowii, belii, vogelii and the likes...
Do you say "low two" (II) or "lowy" ?
laugh.gif

Hi Albert
Not sure but if you mumble it and look down at the sametime no ones going to know anyway
smile_n_32.gif

Bye for now Julian

lol
biggrin.gif

Currently I'm always saying lowy (Spoken as 'lowee') but although it sounds better than "two" it doesn't make sense.

Lowii is named after Mr. Low, just like a vogelii is named after Art Vogel. So the latin "two" makes sense because number one is already taken. ^_^

Anyhoo, if it is "low two" then it's gonna take me a few months to get "lowy" out of my system at least.
smile.gif

Lowii is pronounced Lowee-Eye. Same for all -ii ending names.

Also, N. vogelii (a hard one) is pronounced Vogel-ee- Eye.
Sometimes, names like N. hookerae (the Victorian hybrid between raff x mirabilis) is pronounced hooker-Eye.
The natural hybrid between bicalcarata x gracilis is named cantleyi. That's pronounced Cantley-Eye. Named after guess who?
Any other pronouncation questions? Don't be afraid to ask, everyone has to learn at some point.

Thanks for clearing that up Trent.
Lowee-eye sounds good in English but in Dutch the first i sounds the same as the second i making lowee-ee.  
smile.gif

And while we're on the subject; pinguicula.
Is it ping-uicula or pingui-cula?  
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The natural hybrid between bicalcarata x gracilis is named cantleyi. That's pronounced Cantley-Eye. Named after guess who?

Yeah Trent, sore point, thanks for pointing that out. Whilst I was taking a few years hard earned time out from Nepenthes, someone went and named that hybrid without letting me know. OK, I found it in the wild and introduced it to cultivation but so what?! I really would have liked my name to have been associated with something more interesting than an N. gracilis hybrid! Nice thought but I wish he hadn't bothered...
smile_h_32.gif

Ping-gweek (like Greek but with a w)- you-la. Does that help?
I've heard different parts emphasized, even by those who know latin.
While we're on the subject, one of the most mispronounced neps is poor N. Coccinea - it's cox-see-nee-ah.

Rob,
What would you rather have named after you? - if anything at all?

His own continent that he is Lord and Master over?
smile_n_32.gif

Since we have gotten onto this subject(bear with us, Rob) and I have always wondered this also-if somebody discovered a new species and wanted to name it after Rob, I presume they would have to go a different route than N. cantleyi...maybe N. robcantleyi(isn't N. benstonei named after Ben Stone, using the whole name?)? Or, they could do N. robii, as N. mikeii is named after a friend of Bruce Salmon named Mike who passed away(if I remember correctly).
Of course, I presume, thant normally you would want the person's permission.

Cheers,

Joe

Just so people know, you are allowed to name any Nepenthes after me no matter what.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lowii is pronounced Lowee-Eye. Same for all -ii ending names.

Not entirely true, Trent....The name "Hawaii" is ha-wai-i (or ha-vai-i).

Not to pick knits or anything....
smile_m_32.gif

Schloaty,
FYI- I was answering a question on how to pronounce latin names for Nepenthes. Hawaii is not a latin name for a Nepenthes, but if it was, it would be pronounced Haw-why-ee-Eye
cool.gif

N. capslockii! (I want a species!)

Capslock

Trent, I fully realize that, but was just being a pest...It January, and I work in the financial industry...I have more than a slight case of the sillies right now....Please accept my appoligies for anything inane that I put on the forum.....

Schloaty-eye

Dave, no offense taken! It was a great set-up for the Hawaii humor (credit must go to Michelle for that one).
But seriously, how to pronounce latin names (scientific nomenclature)and words is not the most accessible info.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Jan. 11 2005,8:47)]Of course, I presume, thant normally you would want the person's permission.
Unless it's an ugly plant you're naming after somebody you don't like
smile_n_32.gif

Yes Steve, I sometimes wonder if that is what happened to me! Guess it's an honor to have any plant named after you but I think it would be usual to at least inform that person. I first found N. cantleyi whilst searching the ICPS database for something else.

Guess most people would want a species named after them if anything at all. N. jacquelineae is a good example of a lady who was fortunate in that the species is so spectacular.

Funny thing about pronounciation. A visitor here was telling me recently that no matter how the name of the person the plant is named after is pronounced, the rules of Latin pronouciation must be followed. He was pronouncng N. lowii, as "N. low-ee" and I can't tell you how he was mangling N. jacquelineae. I've always pronounced N. rafflesiana as "N. raff-ils-ee-ana" but aparently that's wrong and it should be "N. raff-lees-eana". I'm as confused as anyone
smile_h_32.gif
Being so isolated here I rarely get to talk to anyone about the plants so when we have visitors we sometimes do this little verbal dance before we can be sure we are talking about the same species!

Back