What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosses for nepenthes substrate?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hi all, I'm Joe. I'm new here, and I haven't had time to go through all the archives, but I haven't yet found any real answers for this question that's been bugging me...
I saw in this post to the Nepenthes>Pictures thread a photo posted by D muscipula (1st post, 5th picture) of some bryophytes that appear to be growing with the various Nep.
What kind of mosses are these? I've yet to get my copy of The Savage Garden (it's in the mail) but all of my internet research has turned up very little on live mediums for Nepenthes. I know that live sphagnum is used with the North American CPs - could I use it with my Nep.? If not, what kind of moss works? (Or, if the photographer or grower happen upon this, what kind of moss is that?)
As an aside, will live mosses help protect against other soil-dwelling things like mold? I have a dusty apartment (two chinchillas, lots of books) and although I like to keep it aired out, in past winters mold has been a problem for my Nepenthes (and other indoor plants.) Only one fatality from the mold - a small rubber tree - but if I could use plants to ward it off instead of fungicide it would put me at ease.
Thanks.
~Joe

That is just common ground moss AKA greenhouse moss, pretty nasty stuff it can cover up plants lke Drosera and kill a Utricularia species, but is fairly harmless to Nepenthes, but a nice pot full of living sphagnum is much more pleasing to the eye and healthy for your plants.

Thanks! I'm starting some Darlingtonia on live sphagnum soon - I'll throw some scraps in with my Nepenthes and see what happens.

i have live sphagnum growing in my bical x ampullaria and it looks nice. it does and is causing a problem with some of my Utrics as it grows faster and much larger than some of my Utric species. i can get the stuff to grow like a weed where i dont want it(with Utrics) but have a have a heck of a time getting it established where i do(with Nepenthes) good luck with it. also it may over grow Nepenthes seedlings but anything with a leaf span greater than 3 or so inches i wouldnt worry about it.

I have two Nepenthes growing in live sphagnum moss righ now. And i have sphagnum in the mix of all my other Nepenthes. I usually use 1/2 fern fiber and 1/2 sphagnum.

I don't know if it will inhibit mold growth or not, but i do know there are other things that do. It's some kinda bacteria that is harmless to the plant, but inhibits other bacteria (not sure about mold).

BTW welcome to the forums Joe.

Thanks Nep.Master... good to be here.

the mold thing is wierd. i dont have any problems(i have a couple chins also). well i do have some but none with neps growing in any type of LFS. for the stuff Nepenthes Master is talking about get intouch with Joe(superimposedhope). he probly has the most expereance with using those benificial bacteria. he has successfully grown orchids from seed without using lab methods using the stuff, a very impressive feat. on top of all that he is a stand up guy to deal with. if yah dont catch him on here he can usually be found on his cacti forum http://epiphyticcactus.proboards3.com/index.cgi

Yeah, I'm not sure where the mold comes from - I just think the dust might be why it's so good at jumping from pot to pot. Right now my amarillys, philodendron, and norfolk island pine have fuzzy soil. I think this batch may have come from the soil my roommate used to pot some new plants of his... grr... never use dirt from outside! Anyhow, I think my Nepenthes is safe this year; I repotted it with about a half an inch of silica sand - hopefully mold won't be able to establish itself on an inert medium.

Yes, mold is evil. If only the plants could eat it without getting sick.
smile_m_32.gif

Back