Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grow mediun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I belong to the Capslock school of Nep soil. I just buy Orchid mix from Home Depot (fertilizer free!) and mix in LFS. Sometimes I mix in peatmoss. Most of my plants that I have transplanted from pure LFS to this mix seem to grow bigger and better.

If you want some nice green moss for the top of your pot, put some LFS in a sealed ziplock bag and put it in a cool shadey spot and it will sprout green growth which you can plant in the top of your pots (be patient). If you keep it watered and humid it should slowly fill the pot (be patient). Plus its a great medium for starting Nep seeds but you will have to trim around the sprouts.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I forgot, I also add coir chips when I have 'em too!

For my smaller pots, I use more lfs to keep 'em from drying out. Larger pots get more of the other stuff. I've used the mesh pots a lot in the past, but have found that they need to be watched as they dry out faster, especially the smaller ones. On the other hand, they get better aeration to avoid fungus and rot.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, great tips.

What this LFS I keep hearing about? I don't have a clue of what it means.
    Just remember that you are special... Just like everybody else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS = Long Fibered Sphaghnum
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't grow in "landscaped" terrariums because they start to reek after a while but I love setting them up they look awesome after everything settles in and starts growing.

I grow a variety of neps who like slightly different substrates. My soil mixes are:

Epiphytes: 30-40% long fiber sphagnum moss (the blonde stuff people use to stuff hangng baskets, this is the moss Nepenthes actually grow in in the wild anyway!), 50% fine orchid bark, 10% charcoal

Lowland Swamp dwellers: who love being wet usually just get 70% LFS, 20% oak leaf mould and 10% charcoal

Forest floor dwellers: 30-40% LFS, 20-30% bark and 20% oak leaf mould and 10% charcoal.

Average highlander mix 40% LFS, 50% bark, 10% charcoal

(the percentages are really imaginary I just use what "looks about right")

I use the charcoal to absorb stray elements that might pop up since I leave my plants potted as long as possible so as not to disturb their growth.

I use oak leaf mould (crushed sterilized leaves) because it adds an acidic element to the soil and dries out quickly without compacting like peat does in my terrariums.

The green moss is the long fibered sphagnum coming back to life under bright light and moisture. The best way to get a "carpet" of moss for yourself is to grow a flat "jiffy" greenhouse of moss by shredding it and keeping it moist and illuminated, pretty soon (in a couple months) you'lll have a yard of living moss that you can "innoculate" your pots with by sprinkling pieces of live moss on the surface and keeping it moist soon you'll be moss gardening! I recently have had tiny little white mushrooms growing out of the moss in my highland tank!

In this aquarium tank:

I have a few PVC pipes cut to fit in the bottom and place lighting grid over the pipes to elevate the "bottom" of the tank up about 2", this way I can water the plants and the excess runs off and that excess sits in the bottom and evaporates creating a great humidity. each plant in it is like it's own an island receiving about 80%+ humidity at all times and more at night. This method works excellent in a sealed aquarium but looses it's effectiveness in a large custom grow chamber.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Im with Wolf i use LFS with all my neps except amp and bical
    oh yes raff as well i add some peat moss and oak leaf mould works ok for me.
    bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you sterilize the leaves for the leaf mould?
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what they do to pasturize it, maybe they bake it at 200-300*F just enough to kill insect eggs, molds and bacterias? It's sold ready to use in about 1 lb. bags (it lasts a long time) I get mine at Bachmann's floral/garden centers on the same shelf where you get the orchid bark, plant tags, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast