Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience topping n. trucata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy.

One of my large N. truncata has become quite unsightly due to being kicked around by playful pets, clumsy gardeners and the weather. This plant is about a meter across; the stem is now approx. 30 cm long and 4 cm thick. It does not have a basal offset yet.

I was wondering whether anyone here has experience topping big N. truncata? The plant is outside here - prevailing cool temps (this is a lowlander) are aggravating the problems with its appearance, so I'm really itching to do something other than watch it get leggier and uglier...

TIA/Jay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topping it? Never heard the phrase before, if you could describe the action maybe i can give some insight.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do believe he means taking a cutting of the growth point. he is worried that such a large cutting wont work. i have been told truncata doesnt take to rooting very well but have no personal experiance with the species.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a completely different meaning in other contexts...
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify:

"Topping" in normal horticultural parlance would involve the removal of an apical portion of a plant/tree, etc.

I am not concerned with rooting the "top" portion but, rather, the survival of the rooted, basal portion of this particular plant. I realize that the removal of the meristem should, via the loss of apical dominance, induce the remaining dormant nodes to produce offshoots. In practice, however, sometimes the procedure queried results in the loss of the entire plant.

Thus, my question.

BRgds,

Jay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a cutting he's talking about, then i have heard that they are relatively easy from cuttings. I have no experience with this species though.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay, you might try emailing Jerry at OL. He has some rather unruly sized N. truncatas in the rafters of the retail/display house. I was there early one morning when an enormous freshly watered N. truncata weighing probly 100+ lbs suddenly came crashing to the floor! I'm sure they ended up pruning it maybe they'll have some insight for you?

Edit my own truncata is about 1.5 meters in diameter but still only about 20 cm high so I "guess" it's still a seedling as it doesn't yet have any vines or leaves like the ones at OL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

Did you weep when that happened, lol?
    "Oh the humanity of it all!!!"

Cheers,

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast