What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Babes! babes! babes!

Nice pics! Treasure the time you have together...they grow up so fast. *sniff*

Looking good Hans.
How long do you have them already?

The post name is really misleading, i'm disappointed...
smile_m_32.gif

Very nice pictures man. I like the mirabilis, the khasiana, and the belli.

what Drosera is that behind the raff? very nice pics!!!

Nice babies! Nice D. paradoxa too!!

Capslock

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I've had these plants for about two weeks, but they’re really growing like their life depended on it.

Here in Taipei, Northern Taiwan, only summer and fall are really tropical. In winter, the temperatures dip down below 70, so I decided to stick the shrubbery in an in-house tank, much to the derision of my Taiwanese CP growing friends, who mostly leave their plants outside all through the winter, covered in plastic bags, with only the less adventurous minds taking them inside their (unheated) houses during January and February.

Of course, being the Persnickety Teuton Heathen that I am (“vee haff vays to make yoo grow!”), as well as an utter, sad nOoB (only been CP'ing since August), I couldn't bear the thought of my plants freezing their cute little pitchers off in the bitter, bitter cold of 60 degrees Fahrenheit, so I slapped two terrariums together for them. Humidity is never really an issue around these parts - it’s still around 65 now -, I’m lighting each tank with a four-tube, 128 Watts barrage, AND I have installed a heating rock (hey, anything worth doing is worth overdoing!), so almost all of my plants are experiencing quite scary growth rates.

I bought the khasiana in September, put it on the porch, and it immediately started growing cute little two-inch pitchers at a steady rate. Two days after I’d brought her into the tank, the first Mighty Mutant Monster Mug started appearing, soon overtaking the height of the darn POT! Now the second one’s under way, and (as I’ve stated elsewhere) I’ve taken to sleeping with a spray can of Agent Orange under my pillow….

Same with the mirabilis: as of this morning, that pitcher is four inches tall, not open yet, but was just a teensy half-inch bud when I bought it 11 days ago.

Only the darn bellii won’t grow any faster (that’s why I’ve hung it closer to the light). I sure wish it would – I’m sick of having to enjoy its beauty with a %$#@!! magnifying glass!

Cheers and Happy Christmas/Holidays/Kwanzaa etc. to y’all and your plants, er, families!

TwoTon
PS: Yes, the sundew behind the Raff is a paradoxa

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Dec. 23 2004,12:34)]The post name is really misleading, i'm disappointed...
smile_m_32.gif

"A Dirty Mind Is A Joy Forever"
(unknown)

Sorry, i just had to say that.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, 60 degrees is not cold, at least for highlanders. Lowlanders yes. Highlanders would do great out there, at least in winter.

Go ahead, put that khasiana outside, same with the sanguinea, they'll survive the 'bitter cold'. Khasiana can even survive a frost or two, it's a real trooper.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Dec. 23 2004,11:28)]Sorry, i just had to say that.
biggrin.gif

Me too
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Dec. 23 2004,11:28)]Go ahead, put that khasiana outside, same with the sanguinea, they'll survive the 'bitter cold'. Khasiana can even survive a frost or two, it's a real trooper.

I know, but it would break my little Germanic heart; it would cry out "Vy haff zem stand in ze cold and produce no pitchers, venn vee can haff zem pitcher like prized cows inside? It vould not be EFFICIENT! Vee vant no LAZY-BUM PLANTZ around us!"
smile_n_32.gif

Very nice pics. Taiwan is a good place for neps and orchids if you have them. I've always dreamed of moving to the top of one of the mountains because they seem like they would be a highland nep's paradise, with temperatures to the low fifties at night, maximum temps of eighty degrees during the day, and constant high humidity.

Thanks for the compliments, Stan!

You've been here before? Some of Taiwan's mountains - at least those above 10K feet, of which there are at least 250(*) - might be a bit cold in winter. There's snow above 11000 feet in January....

But I guess you couldn't go too wrong with moving a little up the hill, say, 3000-5000 feet, especially in the South, which is already below the Tropic of Cancer.

In fact, we're thinking of moving out of our lowland apartment a bit up the hill (1000 ft) into this litte old farmhouse right at the edge of the jungle (see links below). It's only accessible from the main road by bike, quadruped or on foot, and it needs a bit of sprucing up, but fortunately, my wife is quite the handywoman...
The upsides are obvious: the view, the geckos, rat snakes and cobras, the bat-sized butter- and dragonflies, the saucer-sized neon spiders, clean air, mountain spring water, tons of space for my plants, and our two boys are crazy about living right next to a subtropical forest.
http://home.petflytrap.com/users....all.jpg

cheers and Merry Christmas!

Hans
(*) Some say that Taiwan could be as vast as Alaska, if'n they hadn't put everything upright....

Khasiana should still pitcher outside. Same with sanguinea, as long as that bitter cold is as cold as it gets. Even if it gets in to the mid forties those two should still pitcher.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Dec. 25 2004,1:08)]Khasiana should still pitcher outside. Same with sanguinea, as long as that bitter cold is as cold as it gets. Even if it gets in to the mid forties those two should still pitcher.
Hmmm...I knew those two were tough, but mid-forties?
I definitely gotta try that next winter - thanks for the info, n. master!

"Every day you don't learn anything new is a lost day"
(some ancient Chinese geezer)

Hey Hanz,
I guess the question is, with regards to the khasiana and the sanguinea (which are technically highlanders), how cold does it get at night?

If you have high 60's daytime and even into the 40's nightime, you'll be fine with those two outside. I grew mine on the deck railing from spring through fall, with just those conditions at both ends of the season, and they grew and pitchered just fine.

Back