What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take for n. ventricosa to pitcher

I've had my ventricosa for about 6 months, and nothing has been happening. It is making a lot of leaves, but no pitchers. Is there anything I can do, or should I just wait?

Hi, if you've just aquired it in the past 6 months it is probably still adjusting to its surroundings. To encourage pitcher formation, bright light and high humidity levels (60% and higher) are a must for pitchers to be produced.

And to answer your other question, the best option is to wait.
smile.gif

Can't vouch for the humidity, but it helps if you water before the pot dries out
smile_n_32.gif
. Mine pitchered great until I forgot to water them and now the pitchers are dying back. The humidity in the window where I grow mine was usually around 30% to 35% this summer and they pitchered nicely.

As Nep G said though, bright light, keep the humidity up, and give them time to get used to their new home.

Yeah, it all depends on your conditions. It SHOULD pitcher well within six months. So check the basics: proper light, humidity, water, and temperature.

Capslock

When I bought mine from home depot, they pitchered within two weeks and havent stopped since...

Is it growing new leaves?

He said it was.

Anyway, check to see if the soil is wet, and see if the soil is the right type (too many nutrients is a BIG PROBLEM). Make sure it has plenty of humidity, though windowsill-like should be okay. If it is on a windowsill, make sure it is an east or west facing window. If it is in a terrarium, make sure it gets plenty of light. Temps should be around 70-90 during the day, and 50-70 at night. This is general, ventricosas are pretty tolerant of near frosts. Those are the max temps (for the high end of the spectrum) that you will get reliable pitchers. Cooler than that during the day, and the ventricosa will not reliably pitcher.

There is a possibility that it's still adjusting, but no guarantees.
Give it some time, if conditions are right, you'll get nice pitchers.
Relax, some are much more picky.
smile.gif

Just for reference my N. rajah hasn't pitchered for me for almost a full year and a half. So 6 months is nothing!
smile.gif

But ventricosa is notoriously less capricious than rajah...

My ventricosa lived through practically everything. It was sunburned, dehydrated, overheated, almost frozen, and it had its growing tip snapped off in shipping. It recovered very well and was starting to pitcher again before finally dying of a mite infestation. For some reason, I have the worst luck with some of the supposedly easy species, while the "harder" species are sitting there happily pitchering away. My advice is to wait and let it settle in. I've had neps sit for about a year before starting to pitcher.

My N. burbidgeae has been sitting for about 5 months now, and i'm starting to see a little pitcher growth, not much.

My N. maxima has been sitting for 3 months, and i've got about the same growth.

This is from the time i bought them mind you.

So i guess it also depends on the plant.

The same thing happened with my two ventratas. One pitchered the next month, the other took 4 months to pitcher.

Well, the temperatures in my terrarium are about 50-60 during the day. That could be why it hasn't been pitchering. Also, when I got it, it only had about 1 leaf, and since it has grown about 4. It's about to unfurl a new leaf real soon. Do you think that it just needs more leaves before it starts to make pitchers?

That that problem! Those should be the night time temps....Try to get the day temps at least into the 70's. That should encourage some growth.

Back