Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday photos in our greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julian,
    Thanks for the compliments. No, we don't have a N. Dyeriana. It would grow like a weed in our greenhouse and hope to obtain it sometime soon.
    Later,
    T & M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics Guys! Whats your secret with merrilliana?!?

Robin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robin,
    The N. merrilliana like it hot and muggy. They don't like being disturbed, and can take a year to get established from repotting (even in ideal conditions). The mix should not be soggy (biggest mistake is too much water), they would rather be humid and dryer at the roots. For pitcher production, humidity is the secret. The tendril will just turn black and dry up without constant high humidity. Once established, they enjoy fertilizer and bright light. When you do water at the roots, flush copious amounts of pure water through the pot to wash the mix. It's a lowland, picky, delicate species. It's worth all the effort because the traps are so attractive. Good luck, hope this helps. Easier said than done.
    T & M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ Dec. 27 2004,8:29)]Robin,
    The N. merrilliana like it hot and muggy. They don't like being disturbed, and can take a year to get established from repotting (even in ideal conditions). The mix should not be soggy (biggest mistake is too much water), they would rather be humid and dryer at the roots. For pitcher production, humidity is the secret. The tendril will just turn black and dry up without constant high humidity. Once established, they enjoy fertilizer and bright light. When you do water at the roots, flush copious amounts of pure water through the pot to wash the mix. It's a lowland, picky, delicate species. It's worth all the effort because the traps are so attractive. Good luck, hope this helps. Easier said than done.
    T & M
    wow trent you're planst are stunning

I love that merriliana! its probly one of my favorite nepenthes.
    I have a fiarly large one (not for the species but compared to my other planst) and you're right I've had it a few months and its now just starting to pitcher. Are there different color forms of merril? mine is pink with a bright green peristome, yours is amazingly colored. Not saying I don't like my pink one though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

so when are these going to be on the website? wink wink?
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Trent,

Those photos are stunning....STUNNING!

You put that much effort into your merri, eh? Yikes. All I do is water mine less frequently. :S

I found a solution to repotting plants that don't like their roots disturbed: Pot them in something you can cut away from the medium. That way you don't have to knock the plant around trying to get it out of the pot. You simply peel away the pot itself!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave,
    The N. merrilliana in the photo has a leaf span of 18 inches on the main vine and nine inches on the ground shoot. It is potted in a five gallon pot. N. merrilliana has a huge root system. We didn't want to make it sound like it's that much trouble to grow, but they are a little more touchy than most lowland neps. Getting them to produce consistently large pitchers is the trick. Keeping them alive and growing is easy.
    We are delicate with all our neps when repotting. They usually come out of the pots as one big mass of roots in the shape of the pot. The photo below is showing a N. bicalcarata being "moved up" to a three gallon pot. Note the square root mass on the bottom.

The roots are completely molded to the shape of the pot, it just slips out, no knocking the plant around. While we haven't taken a photo of N. merrilliana during repotting, the same holds true.
    Glad you enjoyed the pics.
    T & M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Trent,

Ok, it sounded like they were so hard to grow. However, you may be right about the pitcher size thing - my plant is about 5 or 6" across, and the largest pitcher is only about 1 1/2 to 2" tall....Though there are a LOT of pitchers, and two ground shoots. Should I be getting larger pitchers at this point, or is it still too young?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking plants!!! My poor plants are confined to the basement! A Nep greenhouse in Michigan would be expensive to operate, then there is the danger of a power failure. I've always liked Florida maybe I should start working on my wife.

Keep posting, I never tire from looking at beautifully grown plant pictures.

Glenn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast